A nightclub in Bucharest, Romania, called Colectiv was hosting a show which was advertised as featuring a full pyrotechnics display. Sounds cool, if you’re into that sort of thing. So, a herd of drunken fleshy viruses jammed into a confined space with fire shooting into the air. What could go wrong?
Nine times out of ten. Nothing. But tonight happened to be the tenth. The pyros malfunctioned and set pillars and the ceiling on fire. At first, people naturally assumed this was planned, although it quickly became apparent that it wasn’t. The ensuing stampede contributed to killing and injuring many while the fire brought burning portions of ceiling down on the panicked people. Victor Ionescu, who managed to escape with his girlfriend, told reporters:
People were fainting, they were fainting from the smoke. It was total chaos, people were trampling on each other
First reports confirmed 27 dead at the scene and over 155 injured but that number has now risen to at least 46 dead. The survivors are suffering from major burns and many are not expected to leave the hospital alive.
Just going out to the club to get fucked up and look at pretty colours and end up dead. Guess that’s why I always say I’d rather be “boring” and alive as opposed to “fun” and dead.
Mad props to Best Gore members, Xtinna and FBCodrut for the pics, vid and info.
and a gallery of the dead and the start of the fire.