Bands In Your Collection That Surprise People

Best Gore Forums Chill Out Zone Music Bands In Your Collection That Surprise People

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 50 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Goatsemarathon 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

• Author

Death Pod
    Participant

I would imagine none of us are one dimensional in our interests or endeavors, so name a band or song from your collection which the casual observer might think is totally uncharacteristic of you. Or name a song you like for any reason that even you yourself are surprised by.

Top of the heap for me – INXS and/ or Morrissey.

Death Pod
    Participant

Whoops, I fucked up. I meant to provide insight as to why that’s seen as a contrast in tastes. I’m mostly into rock and varying degrees of metal. So Morrissey being next to Morbid Angel in my cd collection is pretty funny to me.

despy
    Participant

aww I really like this topic and just scanned all my downloads to eagerly participate but I got nothing. it is all rather a varying mix but it all goes together because it’s mine lol. I guess maybe gladys Knight and the pipps “midnight train to Georgia” is oddball in the group but I also have roberta flack so wouldn’t be so farfetched. got nothing

Morrissey is indeed oddball. surely you meant the Smith’s, far superior to solo work, no?

itsplaster
    Participant

Being a lover of all things metal – that includes every genre. Death, black, nu, industrial, etc., I do have a few oddballs in my collection. I’m very appreciative of classic country such as George Jones, Willie Nelson and Patsy Cline, to name a few. I even enjoyed seeing George Jones in concert twice before his death. One show was at the Ryman Auditorium (the original Grand Old Opry) in Nashville; a wonderful memory.

Death Pod
      Participant

@itsplaster

That’s really cool. I bet that was some show! I grew up watching Austin City Limits at my grandparents house so I have a fondness for some country/ bluegrass/ Americana. I saw John Prine at Chastain Park here in Atlanta back in the 90’s and that was a wonderful evening as well. My dad listened to him all the time when I was a kid and hearing the songs live had a specialness to it, ya know. Speaking of loving all things metal- I’m getting into Dimmu Borgir a lot and I was watching the Forces of the Northern Night live in Oslo dvd the other night and I found myself intrigued by Agnete Kjolsrud, who was featured on the song Gateways. I remember you had a post a while back about female vocalists but I don’t recall if she made the cut. She’s awesome though! I’m digging her other band Djerv, too. It’s painful to watch interviews with her because she seems cool and some doofus is always asking really stupid questions. Like this tool…

itsplaster
        Participant

Yes, Discount-bin Bret Michaels was cringe as hell indeed. I’ve never heard Djerv before. I did go take a listen. They’re quite bouncy. I wonder how she ended up with Dimmu Borgir. It works though. I saw Dimmu in the pit at an OzzFest. I had a creepy crush on Shagrath. That particular show wasn’t very good though. I think OzzFest is just too big for some acts. They would’ve been great on 2nd stage instead of main stage. The vibe just wasn’t there. The crowd wasn’t into them.

Death Pod
        Participant

@itsplaster

They’re both Norwegian. Probably friends of friends of friends.

despy
        Participant

Austin City Limits hosts best performances ever they really feature most popular and most obscure acts of all time for years now. I always tune in to see who is playing . that and jools holland, found great bands featured there as well.

Death Pod
    Participant

I definitely agree that The Smiths have a much stronger discography and I own all of their albums, as well. Morrissey has a few solo records that are just unlistenable. Maladjusted and Kill Uncle might be two of the worst (professional grade) albums ever recorded. I particularly like You Are The Quarry and Years of Refusal. Midnight Train to Georgia was in the regular rotation at the nightclub where I used to work. I live in Atlanta so I guess the DJ thought he was obligated to play the song. haha

despy
      Participant

grrr I replied to this yesterday not sure what happened to it. anyhow, I too, at one time owned all their records but never bought one solo Morrissey. just wasn’t into it.
      midnight train to georgia is probably in my top ten songs ever! I just love it! although you are most likely sick of it

Marky Ramones Wig
      Participant

Dagenham Dave is complete and utter dogshit lolol

Death Pod
        Participant

@markyramoneswig

Truer words were never spoken. That whole period for him is a bunch of bullshit. Just stupid songs with no direction.

despy
        Participant

I had to google dangham dave. Morrissey solo song? super surprising you both followed on after Smith’s . not surprised it sucked ,to me it was all about the band. very melodic and had such a raging crush on Johnny I quit talking to him when I learned of Angie . I just searched and found out he is single again (swoon). he’s been my only celebrity crush ever aside from Elizabeth Hurley she’s foxy

Death Pod
        Participant

@desp

I don’t know why I didn’t see this post until just now (10/18) but I agree with you. The Smiths had a great sound that was truly the sum of all of its parts, but especially Marr and Moz. I think Moz has some great solo tunes but he’s mostly just a lyricists and he has song writers to fill in everything else. So he’s basically a vegan Toby Keith. LMAO.

illegalsmile55
    Participant

Percy Sledge. That’s thrown a few people off. I have a huge variety of music.
    David Allan Coe..haha..
    I love john prine @deathpod, I’ve seen him young and old! He co-wrote Coe’s opus, “You never even called me by my name”.

Death Pod
      Participant

@illegalsmile

Dear old Percy. God rest his soul.

Yes, that’s right! Along with Steve Goodman. I play a few Prine songs on acoustic guitar. Recently I’ve been working on my juggling act of playing Picture Show on guitar, singing it, and playing the drum parts with an assortment of foot pedals I have set up. I played Picture Show live once, sans percussion, and an older guy came up to tell me how delighted he was to hear me play that song. He didn’t comment on my versions of Karma Police or Chinese Translation.

Have you seen John lately? Dude is hanging in there.

Стефания
    Participant

I’ve got a Pope John Paul Visits Ireland vinyl. It gets spun sporadically, usually on a rainy Sunday afternoon when I’m feeling particularly pious.

Death Pod
      Participant

Righteous! Was that album recorded on the tour he did with the armless guitarist that played with his feet?

Стефания
        Participant

You know it! He’d a slide on each toe of his left foot. Biggest gig Éire has ever seen, a million plus! Crowd was rapturous!

Jason the alpha
        Participant

1.2 million! And I stood where he stood the other day! I am awesome now hahaha.

Стефания
        Participant

That was a real coincidence, a couple of hours out I was though. September 29 1979. Heard them on about it on the radio today.
        You must be old ALPHA JASON, relativity that is. 😁

despy
        Participant

OMG I forgot about armless guitar player & Pope John Paul what an awesome recollection!!!!

despy
      Participant

“pious” I probably haven’t read that word since eighth grade, nice! Pope John Paul II was so awesome, good score!

that Jesus pic you have on the wall is that one where his eyes follow and look at you no matter which angle you view it from?

illegalsmile55
    Participant

@deathpod,
    You probably know these guys. If not, you should, but I’m gonna guess that you do.

despy
      Participant

I like music stripped down like this and she has amazing voice, thanks for sharing. I hadn’t ever heard of them

Death Pod
        Participant

@desp

I agree, she does have a great voice.

Death Pod
      Participant

@illegalsmile

Yes, I am familiar with them and that’s a great song. Thanks for the link! Do you know/ like Grant Lee Phillips? He’s my favorite sort of Americana/ alt-country/ folky whatever. I’m going to see him in concert Oct. 27. Stoked about that one. I don’t mean to be a one-upper, I just like talking about and swapping music! 🙂

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Death Pod. Reason: fingers too fat for dialing

illegalsmile55
        Participant

I am familiar with him. I listen to a station that plays almost every singer songwriter I can think of, in fact I heard the Smiths today on there and smiled cuz you guys just talked about them…yesterday? Prime, Hiatt, all those guys, but new stuff too. One more for you, I bet you know him too, maybe not… @desp will like also.

Nataska
    Participant

Prince Bon jovi ac/dc def leopard seen prince and Bon jovi live every women’s fantasy watching these sex gods in person

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Nataska.

Death Pod
      Participant

@nattie73

My dad made fun of me and Bon Jovi when I bought Slippery When Wet. LOL. Have you seen the clip of Prince “kicking” Kim Kardashian off the stage because she couldn’t dance? Pretty funny.

Nataska
        Participant

Yes I have I can’t stand that women lol but I did and still do luv prince and Bon jovi will I was crying when I first saw him live with excitement

Marky Ramones Wig
    Participant

I’m into like punk n skapunk, the clash, rancid, reel big fish, misfits stuff like that but one thing that I can’t live without is ABBA lol, if you don’t like singing along badly n dancing to ABBA There’s something wrong with you I think, to write the amount of tunes Benny n Bjorn wrote are amazing n they didn’t even write them in their native language, and them 2 birds are fit as fuck as well, if your feeling a bit down slap a bit of ABBA on n it gets you smiling in no time!!!!!

Death Pod
      Participant

That’s awesome and that is a hilarious contrast. They did churn out a ton of material as well and yes, those two gals were easy on the eyes! My exposure to ABBA came by way of Mike Oldfield when he covered their song Arrival.

Marky Ramones Wig
    Participant

@deathpod don’t get me wrong they’re not my absolute favourite but I got a lot of respect for 2 Swedish dudes who can hammer out tune after tune ,there’s not a lot of people who can do that is there bruv? That’s the good thing about music, it doesn’t matter what you listen to ,it brings people together, I’ve got a t-shirt here that’s got a pic of a festival crowd and a slogan that says’ more than music ‘ ,says It all bro

Burden by Opeth:

The two guitar harmonics just before the final detune sounds like something God himself composed, and chose these Swedes to perform. Like someone on YouTube commented: “I’d kill to hear this song for the first time again” I envy everyone who’s ears have not been treated to this divine tune yet.

Death Pod
      Participant

@happy

Thanks, Mark. Excellent tune and that ending is interesting. I need to expand my Opeth library, I’m only familiar with Black Water Park, which is fucking awesome.

despy
      Participant

this was interesting indeed. reminiscent of scorpions ‘still loving you’ same melody in parts. only I swear I heard organ solo in this and the ending that was exactly a guitar being played out of tune.
      I like this thread everything has been new to me

GNeveNL
    Participant

Here is my contribution to this topic.
    Jack Garratt – Worry (Live)

It’s not really a band, but a one man multi talented artist. Who can harmonize his vocals to his guitar in a way rarely seen. I specially chose this live performance where he really hits it out of the park with his guitar solo.

Стефания
      Participant

That’s an amazing performance. Ain’t heard of him before. A true music man. There’s a dude from the U.K. called Memotone, multi-multi instrumentalist, makes the song in front of your eyes, who is a demon at the tunes, if you’re into the more electro sound. Him don’t sing though.

illegalsmile55
      Participant

Very unique artist. Also, some of the best guitar face I’ve ever seen.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=geico+triangle+solo&view=detail&mid=0B27110997FA69B7882B0B27110997FA69B7882B&FORM=VIRE

Death Pod
        Participant

@illegalsmile55

Ha! I just saw that for the first time today. It reminded me of the band recital on The Simpsons in which Lisa plays the sax, Martin Prince is holding the triangle in ready position, and Ralph Wiggum has the flute up his nose. “That’s some nice flutin’, Ralphie.”

Death Pod
      Participant

@terminator_g

That was really good! I love it when I watch an artist/ performer and the first thing I think is “damn, I need to up my game.” That dude is totally in his element and I dig that.

Goatsemarathon
    Participant

Well I like mostly metal, from Judas Priest to Slayer and Metallica to Children of Bodom and Lamb of God to Satyricon and 1349 to Dying Fetus. Things I have that might surprise people are albums by Ramon Ayala, Dominguinhos, Flatt and Scruggs, Zapp and Roger, Bela Fleck, Beres Hammond or one of my personal favorites, Vladimir Denissenkov. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NWQo66prAHg

Death Pod
      Participant

@goatsemarathon

I don’t know much about the accordion but that was awesome! How the hell does someone know where they are when sorting out all of those keys with both hands? I have to stare at my damn guitar in order to not fuck up just playing cowboy chords! LOL. Obviously a great deal of dedication to play at that level. Flatt and Scruggs are legends. I have a few of their records and I dig them a lot. Of course, Bela Fleck. I’m a big Victor Wooten fan, fucking impressive showman.

I like all of those metal bands you mentioned but I’ve only heard of two from your two of your “surprises.” You’ve given me some homework to do. Cool!

I like your approach to learning an instrument. How many do you play proficiently?

Goatsemarathon
        Participant

The ones I would claim would be electric guitar, banjo, ukulele, drums, harmonica, the three row diatonic accordion (the kind that is used in alot of mexican music), and single row diatonic (cajun) accordion. Instruments I am still working on would be chromatic accordion (piano accordion, 120 bass), violin, piano (keyboard), bass and acoustic guitar. Bass is pretty much the top 4 strings of a guitar and acoustic guitar is almost exactly like electric guitar, but I learned on electric and can apply most of that to acoustic. I can get by on bass simply on guitar experience but there are techniques unique to the bass that I have not taken the time to master (see Victor Wooten). The same goes for acoustic guitar, there are techniques unique to acoustic that you wont learn while only playing electric (see Tommy Emmanuel).

Goatsemarathon
        Participant

As for your playing, keep it up man! You have a genuine interest in music and I believe that to be a key factor in your drive to learn. If you continue it will come to you through dedication. One thing I notice is alot of people try to move too fast, they want to be shredding within a day and wonder why they dont sound like (insert skilled musician name here). I feel that a solid foundation is critical to your success. Try holding one chord and strumming a rhythm. Make sure each string sounds clearly (no plunking sound). You may have to curl your hand up have your fingertips come straight down on the strings. Your hand will probably hurt. Your fingertips will be sore. The next day you will be able to do it for a longer period of time before you get tired. When you have mastered the fingering of one chord, move to another chord in the progression. When you have mastered the fingering of all the chords of the song then try moving between them. You will be able to do it fluidly if you keep trying. When you can play it slowly without missing anything, then speed it up. Another thing that will help is to put your instrument where you can see it. Alot of people put their guitar in a case and keep it in a closet. Get a floor stand (sometimes known as an on-stage stand) and put the guitar where you spend the most time. When you see it, you will have the urge to pick it up and play it. Put it near your chair where you watch tv (or your computer or whatever it is you do). Before long all those things will begin to become more muscle memory than concentrated thought. I know this was a drawn-out, rambling reply but I hope it helps you. You have it in you to do it, I know you will get better. Take care brother,
        Rane

Goatsemarathon
    Participant

Yeah, I was and still am a bigtime metalhead, but over time I have come to appreciate many other things. I like music that requires exceptional skill, such as fingerstyle guitar or accordion. With fingerstlye guitar you are playing your own bassline while also playing your melody (See “Tommy Emmanuel). Same with accordion, but the roles of your hands are different – also, you cannot see your left hand (bass) while you are playing. I also enjoy banjo alot too, learning the rolls (right hand picking) was difficult at first. It became muscle memory after a while, I just practiced getting it right slowly, then when I was confident in my accuracy I began to speed it up.

Goatsemarathon
    Participant

What moves me into new music is interest in instruments I learn. I will begin to learn a new one, then I’ll think to myself, “What does this sound like by a proficient player?”. Then I will discover something I never knew of.

GNeveNL
    Participant

Oké, its time to share some music again.
    I bring you this song…. is from the 70’s, by the band Focus out of my country The Netherlands.
    It may ring a bell or a whistle with some of you, since it was a worldwide hit.

Focus – Hocus Pocus

This is the 1970 original version:

In its original form it is already a belter of a song.
    So much energy, such whacky odd use of one’s abilities.

Now check this 1975 live version straight out of a Danish tv studio:

This is a free style flow of creativeness between all the artists.
    And you can hear that the track has been evolving over the years that they have been playing it.

And finally i have a live version from 2014, in collaboration with another band called Transatlantic:

So there you have it, one great song, carried over a span of 44 years!
    And it’s still evolving on and on.

Now if that ain’t the essence of music… i don’t know what is!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.