Rate the song of the person above you

Best Gore Forums Chill Out Zone Music Rate the song of the person above you

Tagged: 

This topic contains 70 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  felipe.s 1 week, 4 days ago.

• Author

felipe.s
    Participant

Rate the song of the person above you and post yours!

• This topic was modified 2 months ago by  felipe.s.

girl or boy
    Participant

I’d rate that as classic cheese. What you’d hear if you were at a 50th birthday party. Sure to get the drunken old timers moving.

despy
    Participant

I picture myself in gold glittered pantsuit standing alongside circular table for two when I half-robot half-convulse my way to bar for something fruity and refreshing to drink

felipe.s
    Participant

Pretty decent!

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  felipe.s.

illegalsmile55
      Participant

Classic song, great band. “Like Sting I’m tantric”

Death Pod
        Participant

I know Earle is a legend but this song is just too monotonous for me. 5/10

illegalsmile55
        Participant

Learn something new everyday…I’ve never heard of this gal (I honestly thought this was a joke!).

Death Pod
        Participant

It does seem like something you’d see on Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job!

illegalsmile55
        Participant

@deathpod
        This thread got me digging through my albums (do you know what those are?!) checking out songs I hadn’t heard in years and years! All the way back to 1960’s -1990’s. I couldn’t listen to the albums, but when I found something I wanted to listen to, I just did so with YouTube. I went through quite a few different genres of music! Heavy metal, southern rock, blues, etc. Laughing at how artists have changed! Molly Hatchet is a good example, watched a video from the late 70’s, a concert I saw that year, then one from a few years ago… Holy shit, those guys got fat!!
        I went to my first concert at 13, (Deep Purple), then went on to see over 200. I quit saving the tickets when I had two full picture albums. I hit the two hundred mark in my early 40’s.
        Consequently, I haven’t got much done today…lol!

Death Pod
        Participant

@illegalsmile55

LOL. Yes, I know what albums are and I still use the term “record” when referring to a band’s new album. You have some good tastes in music. Speaking of artists who haven’t personally aged well, do you remember the glam band Faster Pussycat? They had that hit House of Pain. Holy shit, the singer looks awful these days. That might make a good topic, “who’s aged the worst?” LOL. Deep Purple, hell yeah! 200 shows! Goddamn how did you ever find the time to do that? I knew a guy who lived for going to shows and he’d seen Wide Spread Panic like 200 times plus a bunch of other bands I don’t like. I love music and especially live music but I wouldn’t go see my favorite band 200 times. I saw David Byrne three times one year and that was more than enough to last me a lifetime for Byrne shows. The two links I shared in this thread were obviously jokes, in the sense that I wasn’t sharing them because I think they’re good. They are hilarious but not intentionally. I love awful shit like that though. I like “so bad they’re good” movies and music. It’s not the same when someone tries to make something bad, it has to possess that charming authenticity that can only be produced by someone genuinely trying to produce a work of art and just failing miserably.

illegalsmile55
        Participant

I have always been in to music, still some people I’d haven’t seen and would like to, but I’m a small venue kinda person now. The last huge venue was in Boston (2003) saw Peter Gabriel and the Blind Boys of Alabama opened for him. I wasn’t expecting that! Mostly just go to an old theatre in Portland, I’ve seen some greats there, Lucinda Williams, Hiatt, Ray LaMontagne, Prine, Robert Cray. I got to sit right in front at a table that had been reserved for some bikers that I knew. Just happened to look down and saw them sitting there with extra chairs..lol..got to meet Cray, that was very cool. I met Magic Dick and J. Geils at a motorcycle rodeo, partied with them. I’ve got some stories. 😉

illegalsmile55
        Participant

@deathpod
        I had to google faster pussycat, sounded familiar, but turned out I didn’t know the song. Aged hideously. 😀

I’m stuck on Wilco lately, love Uncle Tupelo. I’m all over the place.

Death Pod
        Participant

@illegalsmile55

I like Wilco all right, I think they’re definitely better experienced live. I saw them on the Americanarama tour in 2013 with Bob Weir, My Morning Jacket, and Bob Dylan. I was there mainly to see MMJ and they did not disappoint. That was my third time seeing Dylan and he was fucking awful. He was just all over the place, none of the songs sounded remotely like they usually do, and I know he changes them live but this was embarrassing. I couldn’t even recognize the songs until I picked out some lyrics. Now, when he toured with Elvis Costello, he was on point then! He played a ton of upbeat stuff and his whole band was on fire. One man’s opinion, I guess. My buddy thought the Costello tour was bad.

itsplaster
        Participant

@deathpod I think Taime Downe made much better music with the Newlydeads. I wore that CD out. Faster Pussycat was not near as good, in my opinion. I think Newlydeads is in my car right NOW. The song “Skin Tight Skin” – excellent.

Death Pod
        Participant

@itsplaster

Wow. I didn’t even know this existed. Thanks for the info because you’re right, that song is great! I can totally dig this shit. Sounds like a great soundtrack for getting freaky deaky!

itsplaster
        Participant

@deathpod Then it makes total sense that the first place I heard it was a strip club. Lol Great stripper song for girls that can work the pole and are good dancers.

Death Pod
        Participant

Follow me to the Pink Pony! haha

Death Pod
      Participant

Message In A Bottle – Classic memorable guitar riff from Summers, Copeland on point as always, and Sting, the workhorse, pulling triple duties on bass, vocals, and sex god. LOL. 7/10

JMCR
        Participant

Not the nost enthusiastic song i ever heard. not my scene really either. 3/10

Whiskey, stardog, Santo and Johnny.

Edit : nice post op.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  JMCR.

Death Pod
        Participant

Sorry. I was just having a laugh. Apparently no one thinks it’s as funny as I do, and that’s okay. Haha.

Sleep Walk is an awesome tune. I love that steel guitar. Inspired by Santo and Johnny, here’s an old Fleetwood Mac tune.

illegalsmile55
        Participant

You are dry. 😀 taste in music is subjective…I was sure you were joking…but you never know.

girl or boy
        Participant

My heartstrings were played brother dearest.

girl or boy
    Participant

Feeling that ‘D’ tune @deathpod, one of my fav Detroit rappers is Dice. His ‘Neighborhoodshittalka’ record is class. Seen Steve Earle a couple of times also, @illegalsmile, ‘smokin’ everything in sight.’
    I’ll just leave this here.

Death Pod
      Participant

I’ve never heard of Bongwater before. That was pretty cool. Kind of weird and I loved her accent. Made me think of the way a female might talk in a David Lynch movie. I had to check out Dice as I’m not really into hip hop. He’s definitely what I would consider a legitimate act. I was just having a laugh with that ‘Cold in the D’ song but that’s great if you like it! I found it from a link on another low budget rap song called “The South Gon Hold it Down” which has one of the funniest hooks ever recorded.

girl or boy
        Participant

Death Pod
        Participant

Exactly. This shit is pure fucking gold!

illegalsmile55
        Participant

Caught this guy on tosh.0,
        He’s giving it all he’s got..

Death Pod
        Participant

@illegalsmile55

…and then some.

illegalsmile55
        Participant

@deathpod
        I couldn’t watch it because I knew I would be singing it all day….

Why must I cry?

Death Pod
        Participant

@illegalsmile55

That’s the funny thing about awful songs, they have a bizarre way of getting stuck in there. I don’t know if you checked out that other one, The South Gon Hold It Down, but I was singing that hook all fucking day and it was hilarious every time. Even got my brother doing it.

girl or boy
        Participant

That south gon hold it down tune I like very much. And that Reh Dogg tune is not even my favourite of his.

itsplaster
        Participant

The definition of tone deaf. That HAS to be why he must cry.

Death Pod
        Participant

@itsplaster

What are you talkin’ about? The guy has perfect pitch! He’s just singing on a scale with which the untrained ear isn’t familiar.

itsplaster
        Participant

@deathpod Agree. My cats seemed to love it and they do have hearing on another level. Silly humans.

itsplaster
    Participant

In honor of meeting “The One” a week ago at NY ComicCon, I’ll spin Keanu Reeves’ band who had a great garage sound.

Death Pod
      Participant

LOL @ “The One.” Not a bad little jam. I think I’m having deja vu because I don’t recall ever listening to them but that video seemed so familiar.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Death Pod. Reason: typo

Lucythepoosy
    Participant

RATE

yeah, I’m old school… hi daddy…

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Lucythepoosy.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Lucythepoosy.

illegalsmile55
    Participant

Classic.

10/10

Death Pod
        Participant

Agreed. 10/10. Another Tosh.0 treasure!

“Smell my dick? Wait a minute, hold up! See dats how a bitch get her eye swole up!”

Death Pod
    Participant

illegalsmile55
      Participant

@deathpod,
      Wow, I love learning new stuff! No matter how much I think I know about music/musicians, I’m constantly surprised. This guy is definitely up there in the masterful category. I love his guitar face. Can you imagine the face he makes right before he goes full nut? I’d keep my eyes closed. 😀
      What’s with the space suits?

Death Pod
        Participant

Yes, Paul Gilbert is both a master and a notorious nutter, I mean ham. The drummer in that video is Marco Minnemann, also worthy of further examination. I know drum solos can be excruciatingly boring but he’s got some videos that are just mind blowing! The bass player, Linus of Hollywood, is no slouch either. The space suits were donned because the name of that album/ live dvd is “Space Ship One.”

illegalsmile55
        Participant

@deathpod
        No slouch there. Unique.
        Have you ever heard these guys? They are better seen live. I’ve seen them a few times at that theatre in Portland; they did a a live video/album here, Guster on Ice. The dude on bongos is amazing,he comes to life near the end of the song… he super glue’s his poor hands back together.

Ronald Ray Gun
        Participant

@illeagalsmile55
        Did I see Art Garfunkel’s grandson? The one with the beak.
        These guys really like what they’re doing. That makes it easy to like.
        I’ve been listening to old Justin Timberlake lately. Not really. https://youtu.be/wk0V7n9Q8f0

illegalsmile55
        Participant

@dan-a-conda
        Hahaha…I like big noses. 😀

Death Pod
        Participant

@illegalsmile55

Very nice! When they got all amped up at the end was great. The guitarists playing off one another made a trippy sound in my headphones. That percussionist was killing it! The glue story made me say “I’ve got blisters on me fingers!”

Ronald Ray Gun
        Participant

@death Pod
        I was set to disagree with your assertion that drum solos can be excruciatingly boring, but then I watched the video. The guy has a nice kit but it’s kinda like driving an Indy car to church on Sunday. I kept waiting for him to tear it up and it never happened. I’ve never been keen on jazz drumming though so my opinion isn’t worth much. I was reminded of the Buddy Rich vs Jerry Lewis drum battle from like 1964 or ’65.
        The main reason that I love(d) Nu-Metal was the absence of the traditional formatted song with mandatory guitar solo. Guitar solos as we knew them were gone. That didn’t last long enough.
        That Scarified song was pretty good though.

Death Pod
        Participant

@dan-a-conda

In that particular drum solo Marco was demonstrating limb independence and teasing some polyrhythms while maintaining the theme of his groove. I don’t know if you noticed his footwork throughout but it was on point. Then some of the more seemingly dull stuff when he was exploring the tone of the drums and all that double stroke stuff on the cymbals and feathering on the alternating kicks you see on either side of him and in the back. Sometimes the more technical and crafty a drum solo becomes the less exciting it is. Which is why I would say a lot of solos are boring. I wouldn’t personally liken it to Jerry’s ridiculous drum kit or him clowning on the set but that was funny! What do you like in a drum solo, or in a drummer in general? As far as skillful and (still) explosive drummers go, some of my favorites are Simon Phillips, Thomas Lang, Mike Mangini, Thomas Pridgen, and of course the king – Buddy.

I can totally relate on the guitar solos point. I’ve played in several metal bands and I despise how guitarists always have to set aside entire sections of songs for a bunch of ego driven wankery. If something benefits a song then awesome, but to have a stupidly repetitive formula for song structure irritates me. Death Metal, which was mostly what I played, is the worst offender.

Marky Ramones Wig
        Participant

Keith moon bruv

Ronald Ray Gun
        Participant

I’m a David Silveria fan. I know, quasi commercial, but, I’m a fan. Multiple albums with multiple bands and never hear the same drum fill twice. Superb drummer and more technical than one would think.
        Tim Alexander is another great drummer (pre heart attack of course). John the Fisherman is one of my favorite songs ever.
        I eventually settled into a very Chad Smith type of playing style. It’s kind of a “generic” style in that it incorporates very well into so many different metal genres. From RHCP (totally NOT metal) to Static-X to Suicide Silence and so forth.
        I’ve hung up the sticks to do the single dad thing but my son is quickly learning all the classics like Tool, The Cult, Janes Addiction and even Ghost. He loves “Square Hammer”. It’s funny though that he’s afraid of Mayhem. “It sounds scary daddy.” He’s 5 y’s/o. Admittedly it is a pretty fuckin’ satanic act. Geez. Wtf is up with Attila? Haha. Like him better than Dead though.

Death Pod
        Participant

@dan-a-conda

Silveria, Alexander, and Smith are all solid drummers. Herb is one of my heroes. I copied him so hard when I was teenager, tried to at least. I like Attila but when it comes to Mayhem, I prefer Maniac. Attila’s vocals are hard to digest sometimes …and those outfits. I can’t blame your son for being freaked out by them. LOL. One time my brother and I were driving with his daughter in the car and listening to GWAR’s song “Have You Seen Me?” and my brother was like “eh, maybe we should put something else in.”

Marky Ramones Wig
    Participant

Great song by pearl jam, haunting lyrics,I think a lot of us will relate to, this performance sends shivers down my spine,the whole crowd singing the first verse, brilliant!!!!

One of my favs

A close second

Death Pod
      Participant

The comment section on youtube on this one is just as funny as the video. This dude said fuck the meter, I’m gonna freestyle all over this bitch.

@1:30 …Jesus fucking Christ. HAHAHAHA

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Death Pod.

He’s So black he’s silver…lmao

Death Pod
        Participant

I love the part when he was rapping into the microphone from a profile shot and couldn’t resist turning to look into the camera and despite the presence of the microphone he still couldn’t open his mouth to mimic the vocals.

Marky Ramones Wig
    Participant

The adicts- viva la revolution

Death Pod
      Participant

@markyramoneswig

I’m not familiar with The Adicts, I have but a cursory knowledge of punk, but I immediately got the impression these fellows, particularly the singer, are also fans of one of my favorite movies. Then the Ode to Joy (Ninth Symphony) excerpt left no doubt. Well done.

Marky Ramones Wig
    Participant

@deathpod I love the damned , killer song jet boy jet girl, great hook great chorus 8/10

Check this song out by Frank Turner, great song!

Death Pod
      Participant

@markyramoneswig

Great energy, nice dynamics, awesome message, great musicianship and showmen, 9/10. (-1) for the singer’s vest. Haha. But seriously, excellent song.

Death Pod
      Participant

@markyramoneswig

I pulled a brief stint in a rock band that played to a much different audience than I was used to. Which was okay because I’m always trying to branch out but we clashed on a lot of things and ultimately I wasn’t a good fit for the band. I decided to excuse myself when the lead guitarist called me before a show to ask me what I was wearing for the gig. They were monitoring my attire. How fucking lame is that? Both guitarists wore black vests with a white tee and I couldn’t have cared less. My drumming was fine but my wardrobe sucked apparently!

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Death Pod.

Marky Ramones Wig
    Participant

@deathpod lol who gives a fuck what people wear when their on stage,maybe u should of just wore a white boiler suit a la Pete Townshend 68-73 like your going to work lol, that’s what attracts me to punk (apart from the music ), the fact that it doesn’t matter who u are,what you do ,what u look like, whether u any good at yr instruments,what your beliefs are,all that matters is getting up on stage or in a room with your mates and bashing out yr songs with as much passion as possible and having a connection with other people who are just as passionate as you and don’t give a fuck what other people think about them, I’m fucking terrible at guitar but I absolutely love playing with my mates, u cant beat playing music bro, are you in a band at the moment????

P.s u wouldn’t catch me wearing a waistcoat like frank turner either bro lol

Death Pod
      Participant

No, I haven’t played in a band in a few years. I hate moving my drums around anymore! LOL. But yes, playing music with your buddies is the best thing in the world!!!

@markyramoneswig

felipe.s
    Participant

Evillain
    Participant

@felipe….i’ve seen worse lol

but now it gets serious

felipe.s
    Participant

This one is good

illegalsmile55
    Participant

Clapton watched from the side lines thinking his version of this song pales next to these guys. A!so, I’m sure this is when Susan and Derek fell in love… A music fairytale, happily ever after. 😛

felipe.s
    Participant

Does he has a Brazilian accent?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.