Dançando com o Diabo or Dancing with the Devil is a documentary about violence in the favelas of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The documentary is both funny and informative and provides balanced perspective on the violence from both the standpoint of drug traffickers as well as the police who fight them. OK, maybe not all that balanced because the scale is tipped slightly in favor of the drug traffickers.
As the video says, Rio de Janeiro is a sprawling metropolis of 11.7 million people, 20% of whom live in the favelas, aka shantytowns. There are more than 600 favelas in Rio de Janeiro. Most of them are controlled by heavily armed drug traffickers or paramilitaries. The Dancing with the Devil documentary is the first to capture them on film without masks or other disguises. In their war on drug traffickers in the Rio favelas, Brazilian police kill more than 1,000 people a year.
Dancing with the Devil offers perspectives and personal experiences of a few key figures, including:
- God’s Assembly Restoration Ministry pastor Dione “Johnny” dos Santos from Senador Camara from western Rio de Janeiro who tries to bring peace to war between drug traffickers and the police. He was framed by the cops once and decided that instead of dancing with the devil, he will walk with God
- Drug Squad inspector with Rio de Janeiro Civil Police Leonardo “Joe” da Silva Torres – can’t have a film about Brazil without a Da Silva
- Drug lord from Coreia in western Rio de Janeiro named Juarez “Spiderman” Mendes da Silva of Pure Third Command
- Drug lord from Vila Kennedy in western Rio de Janeiro nicknamed “Nike” of Red Command, the largest faction of drug traffickers in the city
- Drug lord from Vila Aliancia in western Rio de Janeiro named Marcio “Tola” da Silva Lima of Pure Third Command
- Ana Lucia “Little China Woman” do Carmo – ex drug trafficker of Red Command from Jardim Catarina, Rio de Janeiro state. She lured gringos to the Copacabana beach where her partners would rob them at knife point
- Former drug lord from Beira-Rio Wagner “Jack the Killer” do Nascimento Silva for Pure Third Command
Filmed by Jon Blair, Dancing with the Devil is a true story and an interesting hour and 40 minutes. Props to Best Gore member Brazilian_NOTDASILVA for the video: