Horrible tragedy occurred in Santa Maria, state of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil on Sunday January 27, 2013. As many as 233 people have been reported dead after a performing band’s pyrotechnics show set the Kiss nightclub on fire. Victims died either from asphyxiation due to inhalation of toxic smoke or from being trampled by the crowd desperate to get out of the nightclub.
This scenario of pyrotechnics setting a nightclub ablaze and the shocked revelers panicking and blocking the exits is all too familiar. The same thing happened at The Station nightclub on Rhode Island where 100 people died as a result. Given the confirmed death count of the Kiss nightclub fire, the Santa Maria tragedy is the world’s deadliest nightclub fire in over a decade.
Santa Maria authorities put blame for the fire on the band Gurizada Fandangueira and have not ruled out the possibility that charges would be filed.
Survivors reported that initially, bouncers stopped people from evacuating the nightclub because it’s common for club-goers to leave without paying for drinks and bouncers demanded people show proof that they’d paid for theirs. Not realizing the fire was raging inside, this likely contributed to the death toll.
Props to Best Gore member blackinki for the tip. Several videos of the incident are available:
Gallery of a few pics: