Wearing a ghillie suit (used as wilderness camouflage by snipers) as his Halloween costume, 51 year old Gilbert Estrada went to party at the WeHo Halloween Carnaval in West Hollywood on October 31, 2013. Then something caused his highly flammable ghillie suit to burst into flames, turning him into a giant fire ball within a second.
The Halloween Carnaval crowd must have thought it was a stunt as most didn’t respond to the fire in any way, and some even cheered like they were witnessing a cool special effects stunt. Later, as the victim lay motionless on the ground, some party goers even laughed and hackled him.
One girl is seen in the video dancing with her arms in the air before she realizes the guy is not being edgy, but is actually in a lot of trouble. I wonder how she feels looking at the video, realizing that she danced to someone dying a painful and agonizing death. The guy commenting on the video with “That’s insane, woooo!” must feel like a real jackass now.
Hard to blame the initial reaction, or the lack thereof, on the people going out to party, though. They were probably high on drugs or drunk…
Gilbert Estrada suffered severe burns and was taken to Cedars Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. He was pronounced dead the following morning.