Brothers in Arms Resisting Oppression

Best Gore Forums Societally Relevant History Brothers in Arms Resisting Oppression

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Brothers

Lord Wankdust
      Participant

I spent a LOT of time in Northern Ireland in the 1980s. Never felt threatened there really. Made loads of friends and had a lovely time living by the sea and getting a degree at UUC. I look back on that time of my life with great nostalgia and affection. It was (is) a beautiful place with a lot of very cool and fine people. Some more Hash and Acid around would have helped – but hey – you cannot have everything.

I would not dare set foot in Palestine. It is a VERY different situation. On the surface the situations appear similar in a few ways. But no.

The British Army in Norn Irn actually had a vested interest in keeping some support there – even at the height of The Troubles. Israel makes no attempt to ameliorate the effects of their presence in Palestine or garner support from Palestinians.

The British Army had a long-held historical presence in Norn Ireland going back hundreds of years. It dates back earlier than the United States has existed, back to the times of Columbus. Israeli Army has NO historical precedent in Palestine beyond their actual invasions over the last 70 years.

The British Army were originally sent in to protect the Catholic Population from the attacks on the Civil Rights Marches, Catholic Home burn-outs by the Protestant Paramilitaries and aggression by the Royal Ulster Cuntstabulary. The Catholic Population welcomed the arrival of British Troops as they offered some protection against the Protestant Forces who ran the Province/ Six Counties/ Norn Irn. No Palestinians welcomed the Israeli Army and their tanks into Palestine… or did I miss that?

The problems for Norn Irn’s Catholic Population came when the London Government actually realised that they had sent in British Troops to deal with a bunch of Loyalist, Pro-British thugs who were running the Province of Norn Ireland as their own little Kingdom. “How the fuck do we get out of this one?” came the whimper from Westminster in 1969. There had to be a volte-face somehow. Hence the the Battle of the Bogside, the reformation of the IRA in 1970, Bloody Sunday slaughter, False Flags, Kidnap, slaughter, tit-for-tat, and all that occurred in the years after that. I am glad much has improved in the Six Counties/ Norn Irn since the Good Friday Agreement and the IRA Cease fire declarations which started years before that… and years before any Unionist declarations. I still dream about the place in good ways. I’m going back for a visit later this year.

Palestine is a 70 year-old POW camp set upo with no war to cause its existence. The camp has had most of its territory stolen and is under constant aerial and troop assault… all in view of a world which seems afraid to point at the culprit or even slightly reprimand the culprit… Slightly different.

I hope that it doesn’t take another 37 years for Palestine to have the violent troops and violent territorial incursions removed and a semblance of peace and relaxation returned to its people. And all the people of the World. Tiocfaidh ár lá.

lady-lexis
        Participant

Great craic last night @lord-wankdust! Buses and cars hijacked at gunpoint and burnt out, pipe bombs left at the airports. East Belfast UVF were ‘orchestrating disorder’ against the PSNI because a dangerous bonfire was dismantled before it could set an entire street on fire. East of the city looked like a scene from Mad Max. Such a shame as the 12th July holidays here had been getting quieter and quieter recently.

Still didn’t stop me nipping out for a loaf and a pint of milk though!

GDPR Harvester
          Keymaster

That sounds like a typical weekend in Brazil. 🙂

Lord Wankdust
          Participant

@lady-lexis

I suppose it is smaller potatoes than things used to be. There is some consolation in that though there is little pleasure when Ned Culture takes over for the Summer. I feel your pain. Did you see the clip of one of the big fire stacks falling down to the Titanic Music?

Share the love.

lady-lexis
      Participant

Ha! I’d heard that one had been ‘intentionally collapsed’ by the builders because it was a shitty construction but I hadn’t seen this. I would like to maybe see it set to the song Wrecking Ball.

@lord-wankdust

GDPR Harvester
      Keymaster

My view is this. There’s too much politics around now days and not enough war. We need to know that we are at war bomb the fuck out of a few billion people and watch things settle down, then we can carry on wanking and laughing at sordid 70’s jokes.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.