Is fly paper/fly ribbon cruel?

Best Gore Forums Chill Out Zone Everything Else Is fly paper/fly ribbon cruel?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      itsplaster
      Participant

I was on my neighbor’s deck. They have this fly paper/fly ribbon hanging up around their deck. If you don’t know, it’s this sticky tape that attracts flies and once they land, they’re stuck. I could hear weird vibrating noises and it was the flies flapping their wings trying to take off. I also noticed a pretty moth stuck and moving around. I felt bad for them. They just stay stuck until they die. I looked online and some people think it’s cruel and some don’t. Do you?

Yeah those are kind of a fucked up way to go about it in my opinion. Though they are just insects and im not sure they register pain and suffering like we do, I share your sympathy for them as they are still living creatures and im a big softy when it comes to anything living thats not human. And being stuck, trapped and waiting to die is no way for any living thing to go. If I absolutely HAD to kill them id probably get a bug zapper lantern type thing to hang on the porch or maybe one of those ones designed like a tennis racket, id get a few if need be. At least the instant they touch it they would surely be dead from the amount of juice those put out, seems to be much more humane than just being stuck waiting to die. But personally id probably just grab some citronella candles or something of that equivalent for flys to put around the porch to ward them off instead of killing them, if they dont absolutely need to die id rather not kill them at all. Surely theres got to be a better way than the paper. Just my two cents on that.

Muja Mi Rona
        Participant

Yea, I go out of my way to help bugs and flies and spiders. Maybe I wouldn’t be so kind to them if they were swarming around me wrecking my buzz. I’d imagine one or two fly ribbons wouldn’t do feck all anyways. A lighter and a can of body spray would be more effective. Whenever I’m out and there is a small swarm I just cover my hair and then it’s not so annoying. Itchy head sucks.

GDPR Harvester
      Keymaster

I personally find it cruel, but it is sometimes more effective than most other methods. Insects are not proved to experience pain as we do, as mentioned Appledic. My greatest displease is to use glue paper to kill rats. When used, exterminator companies are oblige to come within one hours and brake its neck otherwise another rat comes by and eats it alive. You bet many people doesn’t care. I’m glad it concerns you. For flying insects, a bucket of water under the lamp should do it.

itsplaster
      Participant

I’m actually surprised people had strong opinions on this. Thanks for the input. Maybe I will sneak over and cut down their fly ribbon!

haydolf_hittler
      Participant
      haydolf_hittler
      Participant

haydolf_hittler
      Participant

anything for you my flame haired friend 🙂

itsplaster
        Participant

Now we have to watch “A Bug’s Life”
        My spirit insect is a fire ant haha
        We’d have to find a unique one for you

@haydolf_hittler

That’s a strange one when I was young,I had abit of a habit of killing insects. Even being cruel and pulling there little legs off or burning them,But I was a messed up child dealing with alot of personal loss in my life. But now Ime an Animal lover and would never hurt any insect, Ile even go out of my way to help a fly escape out a window. At the end of the day we are all of Earths creatures and we all have a sole,So I say respect all creatures great and small, I will teach these values to my son.

itsplaster
        Participant

I don’t think children grasp pain or cruelty like an adult. You just aren’t totally there as far as emotional maturity so your actions are just crude. You definitely shouldn’t be judged on childhood actions.

I didn’t know what I was doing,I understand now that anger and confusion about life as a child was to blame. I was trying to be in control of another organisms life,But yes as you grow older you have more respect for life I believe. And those sticky traps are cruel in my view, I know an Insects nervous system isn’t as complicated as a Human. But how would I feel if I was stuck like that and couldn’t escape.

Long Haired Dude
      Participant

I don’t care if it’s cruel. They’re bugs. Nasty ass creatures.

Raving Mad Pigeon
      Participant

I think everything deserves a shot at life, but if it’s a fucking roach taking a dump in my toaster we are NOT ok.

GDPR Harvester
      Keymaster

I have a beautiful story. Mom used to kill everything the moved around the house. I Brazil we have many bug all year round. I hated bugs, maybe because of the way I was raised, but despite I disliked geckos, they live in the walls and I hated when she killed them and there was no way I could persuade her to stop the killing. Only recently, during a visit, my Canadian brother-in-law picked one up and put in his shoulder. It ran around his body in a very friendly fashion. Mom said she never killed a gecko after that. Centipedes on the other hand should be killed mercilessly, they are evil!

Brazil has some pretty hardcore Insects, Brazilian wondering spider is the most venomous in the world. And are very aggressive and even chase at a Human. And apparently before you die you get a huge erection,So sex drug companies are testing and working with its venom. I once worked in a fruit and vegetable shop and while unpacking Bananas had on drop on my leg,Let’s just say I screamed like a little girl but luckily it was dead.

GDPR Harvester
          Keymaster

They are VERY common, and other spiders as well. They make going to the toilet on a camping trip a huge adventure. Thankfully they are not extremely fast. My nightmares remain with the Centipedes. Not all bugs are creepy. I love Mantis for instance, and like those spiders, they do not run away. Beautiful kid.

Those poisonous giant centipedes are the things of nightmares,And the Mantis is impressive with how it moves its head around. There like tiny Ninja’s too

illegalsmile55
          Participant

@masterplan
          That is just precious, I watched the end a few times…”waz up”
          Dragonflies are cool too…I hate flies and ticks and mosquitoes… Yup, that about covers it..

GDPR Harvester
          Keymaster

Being poisonous/venomous makes a big difference. Being Slow or fast as well. I’m glad here in UK I’m free from most of them. Cockroaches, Scorpios, Spiders, Centipedes, even Ants can be quite a nuisance. Dragonflies are cool, Fireflies are magical, and Jumping spiders are like eight legged ted-bears. 😉

GDPR Harvester
          Keymaster

A giant centipede. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh. Here is some that do exist. May give you nightmares, or may make you feel you live in paradise. All it take is a mosquito or a fly to land on you.

Botflies are truly disgusting fuckers. Those vids are always hard to watch, poor animals :(. Ive seen some other botfly removal vids before on squirrels and rabbits. Never seen those worms before though. Nasty bastards, Mangoworms it says theyre called?

GDPR Harvester
          Keymaster

@appledicticprinciples
          Mangoworms, My guess they are from Africa only. there are loads of video and the veterinarian is quite funny with people in order to shame but not scary them. It is something the owners could take care themselves. I sure brings a new perspective for the people who wants to treat fly’s with care.

haydolf_hittler
      Participant

let me tell you all something. they way we look at insects we are also looked at, experimented on, devoured, and completely at the mercy of more advanced beings. the reptilian alpha draconian race with their 12 senses to our measly 5 senses have controlled humanity for centurys now. i will also tell you the same way you pull off an insects leg they can also rip our limbs off and consume our flesh drink our blood and discard of our skeleton without even blinking an eye. they are ruthless by nature far more ruthless than any human and are very vicious and cold hearted by nature. they do not have to make any effort killing and ripping a human apart the same way a chimpanzee swings on a branch, they just do. they are light years ahead intelligence and technology wise and their 12 senses which are all finely tuned enable them to move about this planet with ease. you cannot comprehend them fully yet , you can in your imagination but we are not as a species mature enough to understand how powerful and advanced these beings are, but we are certainly getting closer to it. in time these ferocious alien race will reveal itself to us and make its demands and what they expect of us.

My favourite Alien race are the Grey’s,Those Reptilians are just evil and merciless.

despy
      Participant

fly paper is gross. and why your neighbor would choose to string it outside is kinda weird if not trashy.
      I took over a store once and walked in the break room and there was ton of gnats and ‘stuff’ flying around. I immediately stated we needed to do something about this. next day I walked in to no less than 10 strips of that shit hanging throughout wtf.taught me valueless-ness of indirect communication and I rolled up my sleeves and scrubbed that cesspool top to bottom. they respected me for it, seeing me cleaning up their filth. never again did I ever but never again did I need to and never again have I ever seen that shit unfurled anywhere

itsplaster
        Participant

@desp I agree it has a white trash vibe, lol. Thankfully, they’re (the neighbors) long gone and probably won’t come back for a few weeks. I know they used to have a zapper. Maybe it broke. Maybe they’ll replace on their next trip.

itsplaster
      Participant

@bellazombe Well in the house, it probably is a better solution. I just found the ones hanging on their porch weird and maybe ineffective. Plus it looks trashy. But they only live here like 30 or 40 days a year.

Yeah id say inside the house is a different story lol then its war! Spiders are the only creepy crawlies that get in my place although it doesn’t happen all that often. Found a fucking gigantor spider in my garage though one time recently, he was up in the corner of the wall and he was absolutely enormous. My attempt to smash him with a broom appeared to work, but….*cue creepy music*…I never found his body :/ :/

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.