It's now a felony to tell someone to commit suicide?

Best Gore Forums Societally Relevant World Events It's now a felony to tell someone to commit suicide?

This topic contains 20 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  thedre 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

itsplaster
    Participant
    Goints: 2,694
    VIP – Server Donor

Wow, seeing that Michelle Carter in Massachusetts has been found guilty of involuntary manslaughter for texting her boyfriend to kill himself was kind of shocking. http://touch.dailypress.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-93865004/ Conrad Roy III who was 18 when he killed himself with carbon monoxide from the exhaust pipe of his truck was told over and over via text by his girlfriend to finish himself off, basically. She was 17 at the time, 2014.

I don’t know if this particular site can get past celebrating that a female has been convicted and see that this is wrong. This changes what constitutes murder. If a male had been convicted, I’d still be completely outraged. Texting “kill yourself” to someone should not result in a felony. Ultimately, the person who commits suicide makes that choice. This girl was extremely evil and maybe karma would’ve caught up with her but this conviction is bullshit. That means your words to others can add up to YOU killed them. Your words can literally be policed… and prosecuted.

Gorey Boys
    Participant
    Goints: 1,248

KYS 😀 jk
    She was morally wrong, but not criminally, imo, he was a fuckin’ dumbass. He was old enough to know sense, and so was she. When will people learn a lesson? (Never) God love him, the donkey. If she is human, she will have nightmares for some time, and if she is actually evil, then be on your guard around this chick.

PIGgray
    Participant
    Goints: 327

This verdict is 100% against what the 1st amendment states.
    Freedom of speech and expression should not be bent so that others can be punished. Take our Best Gore owner Mark for example. He didn’t tell luka to kill but yet he gets punished because he posted his video and the government thought it MIGHT cause corruption. Someone who is going to do something will do it on their own accord, not because someone told them to do it. An example being, “go jump off a bridge”, if I do that will the person who said it be held liable now? Sure, yelling “fire” in a movie theater will cause people to panic and that is not freedom of speech because that is attempting to cause harm.
    I totally believe in our 1st amendment and hope this verdict gets appealed.

itsplaster
      Participant
      VIP – Server Donor

I think this verdict was so Mass could head towards having an “aggravated suicide” law which they currently don’t have. Then they prosecute bullies when a kid commits suicide, etc. It gets scary because I can look back and see where I’ve argued with people and maybe said something like “you’re a waste of life” or something similar. Could I be charged if they killed themselves?
      I have no idea why Canada fucked Mark over. I don’t even think that they thought the footage would cause actual corruption. I think they just couldn’t stand such an uncensored site and because they found it violent, racist and sexist – it shouldn’t exist. Well, damn, I bitch about sexism and yeah, there’s racism but stifling it won’t make it go away in the real world. I’d rather see it and be able to say something than shut people up completely and cause more resentment. That’s what it seems like in interviews and such. Canadian officials just did not like the site and they found a flimsy excuse to try to shut it down. I don’t think they counted on Mark waiting them out, HA! and coming back. I’m sure that aggravates them. In that sense, Mark won because you know they thought he’d just go away and shut up. Nope.

Golda
    Participant
    Goints: 24

It’s always ones choice to off themselves or not. But having someone in your ear talking you into it is bullshit. From personal experience I had someone tell me to do it, then after I swallowed a bottle of pills they “saved” me and forever changed the way they talk. I took the pills only because he told me to but I took them, i don’t think it’s fair for me to say that because a part of me already wanted to die so him saying to do it made it easier. If I would’ve died I wouldn’t have wanted him arrested or charged, just therapy and counseling so he could see that words really affect people and aren’t always harmless.

Daddy’s bloody little dead girl
    Participant
    Goints: 47

In my personal experience, I have had someone “hyping” me on when I was ready to off it and while yes I didn’t go through with it, it made it very difficult to say no because there was someone there telling me to just do it and to just end it already. I don’t necessarily think that you should get in any serious trouble for telling someone to kill themselves and than they actually go and do it but I do think you should at least get in some trouble. But that’s just my personal opinion.

itsplaster
      Participant
      VIP – Server Donor

I had someone ask me to enter a suicide pact once. I said No. That was it. But we’re all different. While I’ve been very depressed at times, I’ve never been a follower or one that could be talked into something. Some people are more impressionable and that’s sad, but ultimately you still stayed in control of you.

TheImpossibleOne
    Participant
    Goints: 5

I don’t think suicide comes from within. at all. She was his girlfriend, so i believe she was aware of how weak his mind state was. She got to be some kind of sociopath to do something like that to someone so close to her… I think she was pretty aware of what she was doing, so no “involuntary” manslaughter at all. She was aware that he was going to kill himself and didn’t actually tried to stop him.

itsplaster
      Participant
      VIP – Server Donor

@theimpossibleone You don’t think suicide comes from within – at all? Do you mean people actually have no free-will and are controlled completely by their surroundings?

TheImpossibleOne
        Participant
        Goints: 5

Sorry, I don’t think i expressed myself clearly. I meant that suicide isn’t something that you do with a clear head. It always comes from a mental illness or a personality disorder or a traumatic experience. always from the outside

itsplaster
        Participant
        VIP – Server Donor

@theimpossibleone I do agree with you on that.

Motörhead714
    Participant
    Goints: 14

It’s only a felony if they actually follow through with the suicide…that kid had problems and the bitch didn’t help him.

MasterPlan
    Participant
    Goints: 2,846

I would have no problems flaying her. Very sad story and I’m with the judge on this one. I’m pro euthanasia and most governments would be quickly to condemn a doctor for such “help” but this is not the case here… she is just insensitive to extreme and deserve punishment. Had it be my brother I would call it murder, I hope you don’t call her sister. The only thing on her favor is that she was a minor but that is not enough for me. She is to be accountable for her actions. “-Get back in the car!”

itsplaster
      Participant
      VIP – Server Donor

@masterplan I call very few people sister. I just don’t think it was murder. She used words. She did not actually kill him. His shitty parents knew he was suicidal but refused to keep him in a hospital. They were pretty awful too. Nobody cared. And while that’s terrible, it’s not a crime. I have no problem with his friends beating her ass – “off the record” so to speak. She did something personal. She might expect a personal response. But the courts really had no place in the issue.

MasterPlan
        Participant

Hi @itsplaster, I’m not trying to pick a fight, I sincerely disagree with you… and sorry for the personal comment. I’m aware of this case and its just too awful. He was sick indeed and mentioned to her one too many times he wanted to off himself … She made him PROMISE he would follow through on his treats against himself and more than many times she would push… “are you ready already? You promised me you would do it!” She was virtually with him on the phone and for those who don’t get my previous comment, he left the car saying to her “-I’m scared”. Your arguments do no suffice. One doesn’t have to hold the knife to be accountable… by those standards drug lords are not murderers since they do not commit the crimes themselves. What about paying for someone else to do it? It upsets me immensely you blame his family… It’s not an easy subject… If someone threatens to commit suicide, it doesn’t mean he belongs in the hospital forever. The family obviously though they could do a better job and they did their best. Its bad enough that some people hear voices from the inside telling them to do something but for someone else to be bulling them to do it?! -Go jump off a building you fucking idiot! That’s not for you 🙂 I just want to point this is not the same thing. She did not just assist him but challenge and push him to do it a hundred times. I’m glad this case sets a precedent for others. Actions like that are beyond the moral arena. And your constitution is not the word of gOD. The only thing I could agree with you is… indeed some or many men have double standards… like most humans do.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by  MasterPlan.

itsplaster
        Participant
        VIP – Server Donor

Think what you want, @masterplan We’re dying every second we live so who cares anymore.

MasterPlan
        Participant

I’m glad you are back @itsplaster. Sorry to upset you but this bitch is indefensible, and she only got 15 months for this anyway.

xunseenx
    Participant
    Goints: 169

“I just don’t think it was murder. She used words. She did not actually kill him.”

yeah, fairly sure charles manson used that same argument… 😀

here’s the thing, she didn’t just say something like, “oh, fuck off, go kill yourself” in the heat of the moment. these two people were dating and were entrenched in each other’s lives. constant communication for a good deal of time. when you are that co-dependent and you’re both suffering from mental illness, the combo is already likely to have rough patches. for her to know that her boyfriend/friend was suicidal and use this as a constant, sneaky and obvious tool is just fucked up. she straight u peer pressured him into it at the end. he was terrified, just terrified and in extreme physical and emotional pain during the attempt. very doubtful he would have gone through with it if she wasn’t right there coaching him on.

if you read the details of exactly what happened and what was said… it’s pretty fucking disturbing.

i don’t know that i believe she is guilty of murder or anything, but she is guilty of being a horrible person and she needs to be punished in some way.

bullies are the scum of the earth and i hope that all of them end up in a BG video one day.

thedre
    Participant
    Goints: 7,776
    VIP – Server Donor

@itsplaster

Hi girl, Man-O Man that is just crazy, to say the least. Pretty soon if you tell some asshole to Go Fuck Himself, and he gets pregnant by doing so, you will get sued for Child Support and alimony payments.

itsplaster
    Participant
    VIP – Server Donor

If you hit another car and the other driver dies, YES you are responsible. If you tell me them to drive their car off the road, you are not responsible. If the guy killed himself to please her then he’s a weak individual and it still falls on him. Suicide is the choice of one person.

itsplaster
    Participant
    VIP – Server Donor

“Someone was killed as a result of the defendant’s actions” is where it fails for me. His actions killed him. We just don’t agree on this one. But many times we do agree.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.