Overly Educated on Death

Best Gore Forums Best Gore Website Introduce Yourself Overly Educated on Death

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      GoreGirlGoneWild
      Participant

HELLO BESTGORE!

I don’t have much to say because I’m not that complex lol, so I’ll just give you the basics. I live in the Southern US in the seventh circle of hell, I’m into blood, guts, and gore (why else would I be here, lol) music, my pets, photography, DIY shit, vintage gaming, gardening, medical maryjane, and I go to school. I am getting my degree in Funeral Services Technology, and have 2yrs experience as an embalmer. I love to answer peoples crazy death questions too. BestGore is the only place where people don’t get weirded out when you tell them you’re a mortician. Well, here and NAFDA Conferences, lol. I’m pretty laid back, and I can’t wait to meet all all my fellow gore freaks!

lizzardman
      Participant

Welcome to the site!!

Pretty long winded for someone with nothing to say. J/p welcome

Gentlenatureman
      Participant

I bet you have a fine collection of photographs that you can’t show anyone. From your line of work that is.

GoreGirlGoneWild
        Participant

Hahahah! Yea, unfortunately in the States they frown on that sort of thing! I have seen some shit, too. I guess I should start sharing some of my stories on forums. They’ve got everything else on there! Hahahah!

GoreGirlGoneWild
      Participant

Unless they expect a long wait between embalming the body and the actual services, I don’t usually see bodies being cold-stored once they are embalmed. If we know that it may be a week between death and services, we either put them in the cooler until three days or so before the service, embalm them, and they just stay out until the funeral. Or we just use a higher index of embalming fluid to ensure that they will hold up the extra time. But even IF she had been refrigerated (we don’t freeze bodies), thawing wouldn’t cause twitching… Remember, some senses seem more acute, while others are dulled when people are at funeral services or around a dead body, whether it be from grief, anxiety, whatever. You may have noticed the movement of the finger, to the point you weren’t noticing the environment around you, where people were possible touching the casket, prie-dieu (kneeling bench for prayer placed in front of casket), bumping it, etc. Also, when the lid is open, it transfers movement fairly easily, causing the casket to shake.

GoreGirlGoneWild
      Participant

It was probably the result of a transferred vibration… There isn’t twitching after brain stem activity ceases. If someone got shot in the head, and is twitching, it’s because their brain stem wasn’t damaged. Death reflexes are mostly muscle spasms, and they occur during the final stages of death. There is also something called “tidal breath”. That’s the very last bit of air left in the lungs, and is usually expelled during transportation of the body. The death rattle is the person’s last dying breath, which is different. Lol. Suffice to say… there is absolutely no physical reason (nerves, or otherwise) for the movement you saw. Caskets balance rather precariously on something we call a berm, and transfer energy easily. Even footsteps on a wooden floor can cause trembling inside of the casket. Hope I helped at least a little.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.