Post your favourite quotes, proverbs, aphorisms along with your own expositions

Best Gore Forums Societally Relevant History Post your favourite quotes, proverbs, aphorisms along with your own expositions

This topic contains 73 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  illegalsmile55 2 days, 3 hours ago.

• Author

阿洛伊斯
    Participant
    Goints: 405

@hopingfornemesis
    @hindustan
    @masterplan
    @pervswede
    @thedre

Rules for posting:

§1 The quote must be authentic and documenting its authenticity is your responsibility.

§2 Whoever is found guilty of peddling an apocryphal quote will be handed over to a Mexican drug cartel.

§3 The quote must be appended with your very own exposition and the latter should be at least 12 sentences long.

§4 Non-English quotes are more than welcome so long as you are willing to translate them.

阿洛伊斯
    Participant
    Goints: 405

‘Niemand lügt soviel als der Entrüstete’ (Jenseits von Gut und Böse, §26)

‘No one lies as much as the indignant one.’

I think this is a very interesting quote, because I believe many of us instinctively know this to be true. I would like to ask the individual who cries foul in a fit of moral indignation how much of this is owing to a genuine thirst for rectifying a wrong that has been done and how much of it is owing to the venting of his or her lower instincts. This is a very complicated issue, because it is very difficult trace the passions to their root causes. The Catholics have an introspective method known as ‘the examination of conscience’, but my spiritual director, who was a very wise man, told me to avoid any examination of the conscience. The reason for this is that once you start pondering your inner life, you begin to take note of the multivalent and contradictory nature of your motives and any impurity to be found in those motives tends to magnify itself to the point that the filth inside you is all you can see. You will see what a disgusting and dishonest man you are; you are an utter piece of shit and no matter how honest and upright you aspire to be, the filth inside you will always nullify your good intentions. This is where the quote assumes a sinister complexion: a rigorous examination of your inner life is likely to trigger something that the scholastics called ‘acedia’ or laziness. People often think that laziness is owing to psycho-somatic inertia where you are willing to utilise neither your body nor your mind, whereas the scholastics suggest that this acedia is owing to the hyperactivity of the mind, i.e., you expend all your energies on inner reflection and thus you have nothing to offer in the realm of outer action. Kant went so far in his warnings against introspection that he said that those who persist on this path with a pig-headed obstinacy are sure to end up in a mental asylum. And Lukacs says that that the insistence of inner reflection is a hallmark of all reactionary philosophies because they are hell-bent on minimising any impact in the realm of political action. Too many people have been pacified by this attitude: ‘my life is shit, this world is shit, and we might as well leave things as they are.’ This quote is an attempt at pacifying the indignant ones, especially those whose aim it is to rectify wrongs of a social nature. Ironically, it was with recourse to a similar admonition that Jesus halted the stoning of a prostitute. This again shows the contradictory nature of wisdom; being alive is not easy and insoluble tensions and contradictions are carved into the very core of our being. But it is precisely these inner tensions that define human nature. Maybe we should complain less and strive instead to make our presence felt in the social realm. Even If it’s owing to vanity or even if it’s with a view to gratifying our owns egos, the good that we do in the social realm will be subsumed under the genus of ‘goodness’ even if our intentions are impure. So, stop moaning and act like a man:

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by  阿洛伊斯.

Hoping for Nemesis
      Participant
      Goints: 5,764
      VIP – Server Donor

Twelve sentences ? Exposition? Original texts? Too much friend ,at least for now but i like many proverbs!

“What is good for the goose is good for the gander”

It means that what is fair for one person is good for another.

In English a goose refers to both sexes of the bird ,however when you want to specifically draw attention to the bird being male, you would call it a gander rather than just a goose.

So visualise this , cooking a goose with sauce and oil etc would just as easily work on the male bird as it has the same eating qualities.

A woman in the Western world might take up promiscuity and say well boys can fuck around so why can’t I ? What is good enough for men is good enough for women. We are both human and live in the same country under the same laws etc.
      @alois

MasterPlan
        Participant
        Goints: 3,754

Men and women are not the same! 😛

Lord Wankdust
        Participant
        Goints: 1,533

@masterplan Perhaps you misread @hopingfornemesis because at NO point in the post from @hopingfornemesis did the suggestion of “men and women being the same” come up. @hopingfornemesis never said “Men and women are the same”. Because of course any idiot knows that “Men and women are not the same” as you so wisely point out. This is a fact which has been known since we crawled outta the swamp and stopped fucking frogs and newts.

What was so wisely being pointed out is that treatment which is good for one (eg “Gander”) is also good for the other (eg. “Goose”).

And the saying is not gender neutral in regard to a Goose being a generic term for the species of waterfowl we are referring to. It is defining two roles within the species “Gander” being the male and “Goose” referring to the other – in this case the default female setting (eg. Mother Goose).

It really refers to the idea of fair treatment for all. In Scotland there’s a saying, “We are all Jock Tamson’s Bairns” still extant in some areas of East Ayrshire (still used in small towns with streets either tagged with “Keir” (eg Keir Avenue) or “Hardie” (Hardie Road) or BOTH (eg. Keir Hardie Hill, Cumnock). It refers to the idea of fair treatment for all – despite being different. Keir Hardie has schools, factories, streets, housing developments, grocers shops and everything you can think of STILL named after him in Scotland.

Keir Hardie championed fair treatment for all. He would have stood by this aphorism. In this case one waterfowl having a fine Gander’s cock and the other a lovely Goosey vagina. Both deserving of the same type of gravy, roast potatoes, Cauliflower Cheese, Creamed Potatoes and Wild Mushroom accompaniment.

• This reply was modified 3 days, 10 hours ago by  Lord Wankdust.
        • This reply was modified 3 days, 10 hours ago by  Lord Wankdust.

MasterPlan
        Participant

@lord-wankdust

Thank you my Lord and forgive me for the dolphins 😛 …I understand the interpretations of fair treatment, but quotes are not mathematical equations. I was trying to point that “what pleases a cat, doesn’t necessarily pleases a dog” (I wish I had a nice quote for that 🙁 ) . There is always room for exceptions and I’m annoyingly pointing them… especially when it comes to women 😛

Lord Wankdust
        Participant

@masterplan
        That would be “What is good for the bitch is good for the dog”. You cannot compare what is good for a cat to being not good for a dog. That does NOT apply and would make no sense as a comparison. The aphorism specifically relates to the same species but the different genders within that species. That is what it is about.
        @masterplan could wander round spouting shit like “What is good for a Porcupine is relatively acceptable for a Dogfish“. But people would just laugh. It is not good to make a mockery of yourself.

Now stop pretending you don’t get it and move us all along with a suitably pithy aphorism.

• This reply was modified 2 days, 13 hours ago by  Lord Wankdust.

MasterPlan
        Participant

@lord-wankdust

My Lord, words are your trade. I asked for a quote that would contradict this one yet you laught at me… Can’t two quotes appear true and valid yet contradictory at heart?

thedre
      Participant
      Goints: 10,064
      VIP – Server Donor

Awesome Write-up @alois ,,, Awesome.

You Truly have a gift for writing. As every time that i have read (And I Have Always Read All Of Them) Any/Many of your longer comments, i was always impressed with your choice of words, and your sentence structure, As I Have A Hard Time Still, and After All these Years because of (French) being my First Language.

Also Your Choice Of Movie Is Also very cool, as it is, and has always been one of the top 5 Movies Of All-Time as i have always loved Mafia Type Flics.

And Even Though English is Not Your First Language (I Think) but correct me if I Am Wrong brother,,, You Still EXCEL At It Big-Time. 🙂

Sphincterpiston #59535
    Participant
    Goints: 4,777

.. “War hath no fury like a non-combatant..”

~ Charles Edward Montague

Meaning: punk muthafukrs that don’t fight for shit, seem to have the biggest balls..

.. “One should look upon death and comedy with the same countenance..”

~Seneca

Meaning: laughter is the best medicine, so laugh til you fukn die..

… “You can roll in the mud with a pig, but it’s the pig that’ll enjoy it…”

~Honkeykong

Meaning: some fukn people just love to get into shit..

BoudoirDJ
    Participant
    Goints: 1,094

Thirst begets Thirst

Thirst is a shameless disease

Thirst makes a rabbit spit at a dog

The end of drinking is more Thirst.

MasterPlan
      Participant

s

BoudoirDJ
        Participant

We’ll be dead tomorrow MP. @masterplan

First, the man taketh the drink, then, the drink it taketh the man.

BoudoirDJ
        Participant

A drink is shorter than a story.

BoudoirDJ
        Participant

When good luck comes the drink comes.

The Herald of Hindustan
    Participant
    Goints: 661

@alois
    Well, I don’t read as much as you guys so I can’t come up with anything as sophisticated as what you posted. But I do love a few quotes/dialogues from movies. Cape Fear in particular is full of them. This is my favourite.

thedre
      Participant
      VIP – Server Donor

@the Herald of Hindustan

This Cape Fear Movie was Another Of My All Time Favorites, and Creepy as Fuck Great Movie. I Can still Remember One
      of The Actors Day-Dreaming That He Was Being Asked By Juliette Lewis (in his own head) if he Wanted to Eat Her Pussy. And Man-O-Man,,, That Part Had ME Day-Dreaming For A Few Days Afterwards Myself, lol.

Cause I Have To Admit That Whoa,,, I Would Have Buried My Whole Face In That Cutie’s Little Cunt, and Big-Time, Forrr-Surrrre,, when it was made back in 1991, or 28 Years Ago, And I Was At The Time In My 20’s When I Saw-it. 😉

MasterPlan
    Participant

“Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.” – Lao Tzu

“You can’t direct the wind, but you can adjust your sails.” – Unknown

“The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones.” – Confucius

“Words have the power to both destroy and heal. When words are both true and kind, they can change our world.” – The Buddha

“Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested.” – Sir Francis Bacon

“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” – Antoine de Saint-Exupery

“I have gained this by philosophy: that I do without being commanded what others do only from fear of the law.” – Aristotle

“You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word.” – Al Capone

“I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.” – Galileo Galilei

These are all extracted from Civilization 4. A PC Game 😉

Lord Wankdust
      Participant

@masterplan “Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.” – Lao Tzu

That is a misattribution. It is not from Lao Tzu at all.

I have another more realistic aphorism on teaching a man to fish. Again no attribution.

“Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.”

MasterPlan
    Participant

xsookiex
      Participant
      Goints: 921

“No hour of life is lost that is spent in the saddle” Churchill..

MasterPlan
        Participant

I love when my girls say that 😉
        Thanks for wasting your time with us…
        Beautiful Pic @xsookiex

xsookiex
        Participant
        Goints: 921

Lol no worries @masterplan and thanks 🙂

lady-lexis
    Participant
    Goints: 1,097

“Life is a game of whist. From unseen sources,
    The cards are shuffled, and the hands are dealt.
    I do not like the way the cards are shuffled,
    But yet I like the game and want to play.” – Eugene Fitch Ware (Ironquill)

MasterPlan
      Participant

You have to play even if you don’t like the game… ask anyone 😛

But thanks for replying… @lady-lexis

lady-lexis
        Participant
        Goints: 1,097

Not so @masterplan! Some people do choose to completely “opt out” of the game because they dislike it so much. It’s not something I could ever see myself doing because I enjoy being in the game regardless of the shitty hands it deals you sometimes. Ultimately, you either accept that the game can be a bit of a shit-show and find contentment with the good hands or…. you don’t.

MasterPlan
        Participant

@lady-lexis

Career suicide and literal suicide are two different things, yet the can both the interpreted from your quote… and that’s what I have trouble with them… but very smart nonetheless 😉
        … but in that case I’m no longer playing 😛

• This reply was modified 3 days, 7 hours ago by  MasterPlan.

Lord Wankdust
    Participant

“As a dog returneth to its vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.” Proverbs 26:11

Self explanatory but I suppose it could be summed up with… “We never learn.” or as Bowie more aptly put it…

I also really like “Never confuse where you’d like to be with where you actually are.” I remember pulling that one out in response to an ol’ pal who was needing some advice. After I’d said it I couldn’t figure out where it came from. It made a LOT of sense in the context and I’ve always remembered it since. I’ve never been able to track anything resembling it down – so I’m claiming that aphorism as one of my own. Until someone can point me in the direction I might have heard it from.

Lord Wankdust
    Participant

“It was one of those books that once you put it down, you simply could not pick it back up again.” my late brother. Doctor, Trout Fisherman, Genius. Master of damning-by-faint-praise.

despy
    Participant
    Goints: 1,306

“if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck and quacks like a duck then it is probably my neighbor because she is really freaky.”

-Me, 1996

“There’s no good or bad, just the stuff inbetween.” – Me 30 seconds ago as of writing this.

I don’t know how the hell I’m supposed to fill in the other requirements so I’ll just explain it. No one is perfectly good or evil, we all have a mark on our record and no one has only marks. No path will ever be wholly true. No path will ever be entirely false. No criminal was always bad. No saint was always good. Guilty or innocent, the charges are trying to invent a whole that can’t exist. We want a 1 or a 0, a yes or a no. We want a line, and we want to be on one side of it. But no one is on one side of anything. We want the sense of security. That man is a criminal and I am not. I am better. That woman is a slut and I’m a virgin. I am better. That kid is poor and I am not. I am better. That human is different. I am better.

thedre
    Participant
    VIP – Server Donor

NIKOLA TESLA QUOTES.
    THE FLAT-EARTH-TRUTH

TODAY’s SCIENTISTS, *(PSEUDO SCIENTISTS)* HAVE SUBSTITUTED MATHEMATICS FOR EXPERIMENTS,*(EINSTEIN)* AND THEY WANDER-OFF THROUGH EQUATION AFTER EQUATION, AND EVENTUALLY BUILD A STRUCTURE *(THE GLOBE-EARTH-THEORY)* WHICH HAS NO ELATION TO REALITY.

thedre
    Participant
    VIP – Server Donor

QUOTE BY,
    WILLIAN PALEY

THERE IS A PRINCIPLE WHICH IS A BAR AGAINST ALL INFORMATION WHICH IS PROOF AGAINST ALL ARGUMENTS, AND WHICH CANNOT FAIL TO KEEP A MAN IN EVERLASTING-IGNORANCE. THIS PRINCIPLE IS, CONTEMPT PRIOR TO EXAMINATION. … THAT IS THE PRINCIPLE IS CONDEMNATION BEFORE INVESTIGATION.

thedre
    Participant
    VIP – Server Donor

The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence.

The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane.

thedre
    Participant
    VIP – Server Donor

ANOTHER NIKOLA TESLA QUOTE,
    REFERRING TO THE FLAT-EARTH

All THAT WAS GREAT IN THE PAST WAS RIDICULED, CONDEMNED, COMBATED, SUPPRESSED, ONLY TO EMERGE ALL THE MORE POWERFULLY, AND ALL THE MORE TRIUMPHANTLY, FROM THE STRUGGLE. 🙂

thedre
    Participant
    VIP – Server Donor

NICOLA TESLA,
    ON CREATION
    IN GENESIS

The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power. My Mother had taught me to seek all truth in the Bible.

thedre
    Participant
    VIP – Server Donor

NIKOLA TESLA QUOTE
    ON THEORIES,,,

Deficient observation (THEORIES) is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing!

MasterPlan
      Participant

n

Hoping for Nemesis
        Participant
        Goints: 5,764
        VIP – Server Donor

Excellent sayings and pics of them @masterplan ,so much so i saved them. Much better than the standard sayings sold out and about.

thedre
        Participant
        VIP – Server Donor

@masterplan, & @hopingfornemesis

This Truly is, One Of Nikola Tesla’s Best Quotes, as it would indeed change the world if applied to everyday life.

thedre
    Participant
    VIP – Server Donor

GEORGE SANTAYANA QUOTE,

THEORY HELPS US TO BEAR OUR IGNORANCE OF FACT!

thedre
    Participant
    VIP – Server Donor

ARTHUR C. Clarke Quote

A single test which proves some piece of theory wrong is more valuable than a hundred tests showing that idea might be true.

thedre
    Participant
    VIP – Server Donor

Charles Caleb Colton Quote,

Professors in every branch of the sciences prefer their own theories to truth: the reason is, that their theories are private property, but truth is common stock.

thedre
    Participant
    VIP – Server Donor

MICHAEL CRICHTON QUOTE,

It Takes Enormous Effort To “Avoid All Theories” and Just See.

*SO TRUE*
    AS FOR ALL WHO BELIEVE IN THEORETICAL BULLSHIT, SPECULATION, WILD GUESSES, CONJECTURE, AND SOMEBODY’s SIMPLE THOUGH’S ALONE, THIS QUOTE IS FOR YOU, BUT ESPECIALLY FOR YOU @HOPINGFORPEGASUS 🙂

thedre
      Participant
      VIP – Server Donor

MORE TRUTH FOR, IN ORDER TO REDUCE CALM PEOPLE,,, INCLUDING MYSELF,,, AND OTHERS FROM GETTING ANGRY,,, FRUSTRATED,,, AND THROWING TANTRUMS!!!

Leave your Theories. All Theories, You See, Even Those of Virtue, ***ARE BAD, FOOLISH, MISCHIEVOUS***

A QUOTE BY ROMAIN ROLLAND,
      And Mr. Jean-Christophe 🙂

MasterPlan
      Participant

k

thedre
    Participant
    VIP – Server Donor

QUOTE BY, JARON LANIER, “One Half of a Manifesto”,
    The New Humanists: Science at the Edge

There is Nothing More Gray, Stultifying, or Dreary Than Life Lived Inside The Confines of A Theory.

thedre
    Participant
    VIP – Server Donor

QUOTE BY, STEPHEN LEACOCK,
    From His Book,Last Leaves

Professors of Theory Merely Hold Post-Mortems.

thedre
    Participant
    VIP – Server Donor

QUOTE BY, ALBERT CAMUS,
    The Rebel

To Ensure the Adoration of “A THEOREM” for Any Length of Time,,, Faith Alone is not Enough,,, A POLICE FORCE IS NEEDED AS WELL.

thedre
    Participant
    VIP – Server Donor

QUOTE BY,
    EVAN ESAR,

The quickest way to kill a good theory is to put it into practice.

thedre
    Participant
    VIP – Server Donor

***** 5 STAR QUOTE *****
    BY, AGATHA CHRISTIE,
    Death on the Nile

It is Just What Some People Will Not Do. They Conceive A Certain Theory, and EVERYTHING HAS TO FIT INTO THAT THEORY. BUT,,, IF ONE LITTLE FACT WILL NOT FIT IT,,, THEN THEY SIMPLY THROW IT ASIDE. BUT IT IS ALWAYS THE FACTS THAT WILL NOT FIT IN THAT ARE SIGNIFICANT.

MasterPlan
      Participant

j

thedre
        Participant
        VIP – Server Donor

@masterplan

This Is A True, and A Very Honest Quote Brother. Agatha Christie a Truly Good, and Intelligent Woman, who (As I’m Sure You Already Know) has written Hundreds of Great Books/Novels Throughout Her Many Years of writing. And I Think, (but don’t quote me on this) that she has had her share of Awards, wining i’m sure a Few Pulitzer Prize Awards in the process.

thedre
    Participant
    VIP – Server Donor

My Surgery was pushed to a couple of weeks from know do to Another more urgent knee replacement that needed my spot. I Just thought that i would keep you’s up to date, as I Informed Mark Already.

Thanks for Starting this Forum Page @alois, and Sorry For Myself Mentioning the F-E On a few Of Them Quotes, As For Myself,,,, it Has Become A Fucking Religion, Of Sorts. But at least i did not go on a huge F-E Rant, cause this is a cool FORUM-PAGE, And The Last Thing That I Want Is For More Arguing, as i just want to be The-Dre, and get along with my B G Brothers.

And Also @alois,, Thank-You For Including/Tagging myself With The Other Members On The Opening Page.

So Again,
    Thank-You
    And Cheers

Andre. 🙂

Lord Wankdust
    Participant

“97.8 % of statistics are simply made up on the spot” Lord Wankdust

MasterPlan
      Participant

Hahaha! I loved this one 😉

illegalsmile55
        Participant
        Goints: 5,533

I got wankdusted on that one. 😛 bahahaha

Lord Wankdust
        Participant

“Any idiot can face a crisis – It’s the day to day living that wears you down.”

from “The Country Girl” by American dramatist Clifford Odets… but often wrongly attributed to Anton Chekhov.

thedre
      Participant
      VIP – Server Donor

Lol,,, Sounds like Theories Also, as they are (Made-Up Also) and meant to fool the Public into opening their wallets to pay for Their Next Series Of Fake C.G.I Globe Photo’s! 😉

WestLos
    Participant
    Goints: 977

My only fear of death is reaincarnation. Busting at my adversaries like a mental patient

-tupac.

• This reply was modified 3 days, 7 hours ago by  WestLos.

Sphincterpiston #59535
    Participant

… Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to the dark side…

~Master muthafukn Yoda

Sphincterpiston #59535
    Participant

Ha!… That’s the Masterplan…!

MasterPlan
      Participant

f

😛 😛 😛 ,no? Lol!

• This reply was modified 3 days, 1 hour ago by  MasterPlan.

thedre
        Participant
        VIP – Server Donor

@masterplan,,, you are full of surprises today, and quite funny. It is nice to see somebody not take themselves too seriously, because it shows just how secure they are with themselves. 🙂

Lord Wankdust
    Participant

“The gods do not deduct from man’s allotted span the hours spent in fishing.” Some old wise guy.

Then there is Steinbeck’s earnest conviction from the bank of the Jenny Pond on Cannery Row… “It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses… has it coming.”

“Three-quarters of the Earth’s surface is water, and one-quarter is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

• This reply was modified 2 days, 12 hours ago by  Lord Wankdust.

illegalsmile55
      Participant

There’s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. ~Steven Wright

^ This cracked me up.

Lord Wankdust
    Participant

If that is the Steven Wright who is the droll deadpan US comedian I have a claim to fame.

At the Comedy Tent near Hyannis on the Cape in 1987 he spotted me at the front of the audience and (I presume because I was stylishly kitted out in a shirt and cool tie) he accused me of being (I kid you not) “The Mayor of Manomet“. My response was in a very broad Scots accent so he couldn’t understand a word.

If you are gonnae to heckle your own fucken audience ye should make sure they are achshully fucken lissenin‘.”

Memories.

Any way… that’s another fucking aphorism from my fucking mind.

“If you are going to heckle your own audience better make sure they are actually listening.” Lord Wankdust.

• This reply was modified 2 days, 7 hours ago by  Lord Wankdust.

illegalsmile55
      Participant

Yup, that’s him. He’s a Masshole. 😀 He owns a place in Maine, and used to be seen around. Eric Clapton was spotted here where I live a few summers back, (by yacht) and has been here a few other times. It’s so beautiful here, I feel lucky to live in this town.

Never sit in the front at a stand up comedians show it you don’t want to get heckled
      -illegalsmile
      I learned that first hand, and did not have a witty retort, just a red face. :O

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.