What are your thoughts on religion?

Best Gore Forums Chill Out Zone Everything Else What are your thoughts on religion?

This topic contains 28 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  BigBoySlims 1 year, 3 months ago.

• Author

iCthulhu
    Participant
    Goints: 95

What are your thoughts on religion? are you for or against it? Do you believe in a religion or do you not have one? Personally, I’m against it and I’m an Atheist.

JustJustine
    Participant
    Goints: 187

Religion is a valuable tool for controlling people. People fear what they don’t understand, and no one knows what lies beyond our mortality. So the idea of a god who promises paradise in return for compliance is very attractive to people.

Arab Atheist
    Participant
    Goints: 43

i am against religion as well, i turned explicit atheist few months a go just as i realised that islam is the biggest threat to humanity, along with the other religions they take away our humanity which is the most sacred thing ahuman being can have , do good things in order to go to heaven and if you do bad i will throw you in hell, GODS fucking dictator that’s for sure and i refuse to worship him

REDRUM
    Participant
    Goints: 652

Religion is bullshit. Religion was made for people to cope with death of their loved ones. There is no god, there is no heaven or hell, it’s all bullshit. I won’t bash too much, unless it gets proven somehow or some way, I will continue to stay Agnostic Atheist.

iCthulhu
      Participant

hell yeah

SheWhispers
    Participant
    Goints: 67

I am a Christian. I don’t believe in a religious aspect of it, but I do believe in the relationship aspect of it. Could I be wrong? Absolutely. Do I question my faith? Sometimes. Am I perfect? Probably farther from it than anyone here (the reason that I now know what Fap means).

This is my thought…I believe that a man named Jesus lived (which is proven by history). I believe that He died for my sins. If I am wrong, then I have lost nothing. By following the example of Jesus, I have learned that everyone should be loved despite their past. The only people Jesus didn’t care for were the religious leaders of the day. So even if I am wrong, I have lived my life loving the people around me.

I realize that I am the minority here. I respect each one of your views and am not asking for a debate, just wanted to answer the question.

leperjoose
    Participant
    Goints: 11

Darwinian ideology is one of the most hateful western religions, I’m not saying that I believe in a sky man who magicked up the universe, I am saying that the idea of our existence being the result of random fortuitous happenings is as daft as contemplating a brick wall and concluding that a brick factory has exploded!
    Organised religion has done untold damage to the public perception of Christ’s message to mankind. They see the disgusting behavior of these different groups and understandably conclude that those are following biblical instruction, whether it be grubby priests doing filthy things to kiddies and their bosses minimizing it (I despise the catholic church, it contradicts Christ’s instruction). Then there are the charismatics with their talking in tongues, faith healing, God hates fags etc and you’re gonna burn in hell. I’ve found Benny Hinn to be a talented offender and recently I watched a youtube video called Jesus camp that was super creepy!
    The thing is that Jesus only gave us two commandments 1)love God with your entire being, and 2)love your neighbor as you love yourself. Yes, I simplified the language a bit, here is the reference; Mark chapter 12 verses 28-32.
    I can’t help but believe in a deity that is infinite and mighty beyond anybody’s comprehension. When I look at a leaf or an animal or anything in nature I see evidence of design, the fossil record is huge yet there are no transitional creatures yet discovered. Life can only come from life so evolution is just a sad, dead theory.
    I could go on for ages on this so I’ll finish with one more thought, don’t judge God on the behavior of people who call themselves Christian and remember that good works cannot get a person into heaven.

steaknsidneys
    Participant
    Goints: 131

Religions just a fairy tail to try and make people be nice to one another by setting moral standards.
    I dont need a fucking book to tell me how to treat my fellow man, that shits built in to every decent human being.

Rsking
    Participant
    Goints: 494

Depends on who I interact with personally I have 3 types that I have in my life as far as who I talk to (all within the last month or so.)

the first is my uncle who is a religious bigot…. not to go into detail but he thinks that just cause ISIS is following the extremist side of Muslim teachings that they need to have a tracker on them.
    ——

the 2nd is my aunt (cant really say) anyway she thinks my uncle is a bigot even though she is religious as well and that he pastor is doing his teachings correct but that my uncle is only saying his views not the teachings that the “lord” said.
    ——

the 3rd is my grampa who really doesn’t care either way. But doesn’t like my uncle cause all he spouts is religious politics.

——-

honestly my uncle is a idiot who is probably the biggest bigot I know in my family when it comes to views. IF he wants all Muslims to have trackers I say ship every ass hole to north Korea and let kimmy over their deal with them.

My aunt actually has reason even in her belief even though she follows the same religion.

My grampa is the same way. But as far as I know he isn’t religious.

IMO if there is a man upstairs then he is one confusing nut job but who can blame that the dudes got over 7 billion people to deal with and some of us aren’t actually sane.

either way I’m semi on the fence at this point.

deathbyduck87
    Participant
    Goints: 142

Whenever and wherever religion is the pillar of society people suffer. Period. Doesn’t matter which religious beliefs are the pillar. As far as the idea of religion goes it’s not necessarily a bad thing. I was raised southern baptist and I have not met a more hypocritical, SELF RIGHTIOUS,delusional bunch of people,that are completely in denial about the wrong they do,in my life. I’m not a religious person, nor am I going to say that the possibility of intelligent design isn’t possible. I’m not stupid and I’m definitely not going to base my own beliefs off of any man made religious text. To rule out the possibility that there’s nothing at all, in my opinion, is extremely easy to do considering our evolution and knowledge. However, there are so many things that we just have no way of knowing. We, as a species, have only within the last few decades begun to understand that there are many, many more dimensions to our world/universe than the 4 we know and can see. So I can’t say with absolute certainty that there isn’t something else. Even Einstein spoke of God and he was pretty smart. That being said I won’t say yes or no because I don’t have a clue as to what happens when this life is over. Maybe our consciousness,as we know it, fades away into nothing or maybe the electrical impulses that make up our consciousness is freed of the body and is able to experience more dimensions than we can presently experience. Either way I can’t say that believing in something is bad unless the said fundamental core beliefs are used to control, manipulate, hurt or for personal gain (monetary or otherwise).

BigBoySlims
      Participant
      Goints: 61

I disagree. I don’t believe in a utopia or anything feasibly close on this Earth but the closest thing would be a society where the main focus of all the people is that which is bigger than themselves i.e. a theocracy and/or amish society. All in all though any pacifist type of society will eventually be usurped by an expansion based capitalist society.

Refuse2Renig
    Participant
    Goints: 148

I’m not a particularly religious person, but I do believe in God, heaven, and hell. I’ll go a step further and say that I think religion itself is sort of detestable. People concentrate on their own religious sect and criticize other religions, and what that does is create dissention and conflict. What I feel is important is your own personal relationship with your higher power, whatever or whoever that might be. I pray(maybe not as much as I should) and love God, and while I’m certainly not a good Christian, I do make an effort to become better. I respect atheists/agnostics(and even Muslims)etc. and don’t try to impose my beliefs on anyone, but if they ask my opinion, I will share what I believe with them. I seriously don’t like when people say that their religion(or lack thereof) is “right” and everyone else’s is wrong. We’re all on this earth, and frankly, nobody knows for certain what belief is the right one.

illegalsmile55
    Participant
    Goints: 3,231

Fuck religion. You don’t need a god to tell you what’s right and wrong. People laugh about Muslims…go look at westboro baptist church website, or Catholics. My boyfriend was raised Catholic, and the priest used to take the poor kids to his lakeside cottage and try to bathe them, and “massage” them afterwards. Catholic Church sent him somewhere else when the gossip about the priest got too heavy. How’s that for love? I don’t care what anybody worships, just don’t try to convert me. Also, I know how to keep the Jehovah witnesses away, I answer the door in a flimsy pair of panties and an old HD T-shirt with a bong in my hand. They just drive on by now…lol

Aegrescit medendo
      Participant
      Goints: 1,173

@illegalsmile55 If you answer the door in a flimsy pair of panties with a bong in your hand, I wouldn’t leave until you let me give you the Watchtower. 😉

illegalsmile55
        Participant

Ha! That would be a first for me!
        Hey there big guy, is that a watchtower in your hand or….aww, you know the rest..

Aegrescit medendo
        Participant

NOOO! Don’t stop I’m anointing myself. Amen.

illegalsmile55
        Participant

Wow, that was so quick I barely felt it..

Aegrescit medendo
        Participant

Oh hush. You’re giving me a God complex. 😀

Allahu Akbar
    Participant
    Goints: 2

They all just stem from Utopian notions of how we “ought to” treat each other. For example “love thy brother”. Somehow all religions have been corrupted by the actions of millions over millenia including those who wrote half of the holy books. The basic principles of demonstrating respect and it being reciprocated are commendable, yet these tend to be bypassed and religions are used as means of preventing social mobility and progression (keeping people uneducated/ ensuring the poor don’t question why they are poor whilst the rich devour their fancy foods etc).
    Personally, I’d rather end up featuring on this site as a corpse than be an indoctrinated moron who follows the Quran or Bible word-for-word. That isn’t to say there aren’t non-religious people who aren’t idiots: there is something of a modern day religion, in the West: celebrities, reality television and all of this obsession with idoloising other piles of flesh and bones. The people who tune into “Keeping up with the Kardashians” and then go out and spend their (presumably) hard-earned money on cosmetics and products to increase the volume of their buttocks (thus feeding the rich even further), are just as susceptible to the ills of governmental manipulation, as the idiots who scream “allahu akbar” and then detonate themselves on a bus.

ALLAHU AKBAR!!!!!!!

StonedRocks
    Participant
    Goints: 271

The human brain has a very small section just devoted to religion. This section of the brain is only active when having some sort of religiouse experience like praying. I believe that humans evolved to have this for a reason. But i also believe that a key to human evolution is the ability to decieve and manipulate. We as a species are as advanced as we are today because some smart guy rounded up a group of people whom he got to do his bidding for him. I truly believe that in the begining religion was virgin and pure. But all it took was one person who realised how easy this belief in god was to manipulate. One day when everyone was praying to the giant tree in the woods he closed his eyes, collapsed, then portrayed “gods new will.” It conviently made him a wealthy king. Now thousands of years later thanks to this simple manipulation created by evolution we have nations like china, russia, and almost every europian country. They have survived socialy unique, racialy different, physicaly different, all because some smart guy rounded up the locals to do his bidding. And like a parasite he linked on to a vital organ (religion aka the opiete of the masses) and created a symbiotic relationship. Do his bidding and survive as a race or disband and kill eachother off in primal crude tribal wars. This part of they brain has been key to human survival and evolution. It does not surprise me that it may also be part of our demise. Religion, a cruel hypocracy, that drugs the masses, aids the rich, advances evolution, thins the heard, and in a cruel ironic twist takes away everything it gives.

Lex3
    Participant
    Goints: 176

You do realize that atheism is a religion, right? The definition of religion is “a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe.” Most of you believe in abiogenesis, evolution and The Origins of Species plus you also have evangelical atheists that crusade for atheism and preach against people who believe in a higher power. In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities, when you take a position on something you are making a claim. Most of you will make up excuses, avoid questions and make one-sided arguments to prove a point which you can’t prove whatsoever.

abisha
    Participant
    Goints: 165

I am very religious the bad thing is most people know the “bad seeds” no need to add names. anyone knows them by hart
    but in reality their exist like 40 or so of them.

i my self am Unitarian Universalism *wtf is that*
    I believe with science we can prove the existence of greater power. *or god to put it more simple*

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  abisha.

Dream me better
    Participant
    Goints: 1,295

The ‘God’, whatever that is, debate will go on for humanities eternity. Who’s got the answers closest to the truth? Rabbi, the pope, Mr. Al Baghdadi, Derpwin, the richest 1%, the Yogi, the madman?
    It’s fun to study religions, like languages they all spring from one and have many similarities. Atheism is pretty sucky and organised religion has caused much evil.
    Mass is a bit of craic all the same. All the gerls lookin well.

Lex3
      Participant
      Goints: 176

The debate will continue due to close minded people, ignorance and a lack of research.

BigBoySlims
    Participant
    Goints: 61

I personally grew up in a pretty lax home situation as far as religion goes. Starting about two years ago,I definitely started to see virtue in the principles of religion not in the sense of seeking to get into heaven but under the pretense that many religions say that what we experience now in our lives is a live action, real time result of a system of action and reactions where all the negative that have we experience is directly or indirectly the result of past transgressions. Upon extensive self investigation of historical events, in short I came to see the world as pure evil and a place where we insatiably seek fulfillment in a that which is feeble and temporary when in reality all worldly thing are akin to a mirage of false allure. I incorporated the principle of repentance in my life so as to seek not to rise to a heaven but to mitigate that which I may be accountable for in this life and to seek to end the cycle of reincarnation into the relative hell that I am in and that every other human being finds themselves in. I feel that I found repeated approximate reiterations of the principle of ‘what you experience now is the work of your own hands in Bhakti Yoga, Islam, Christianity, Buddhism, and near death experience testimonies and figured that if the same message was repeated ‘ad nauseum’ in these ancient fountains of wisdom, then there must be some truth to it. In short, the common denominator of all these ancient wisdoms was that so long as our soul yearns and acts by way of worldly lusts that we will reap the sorrowful, turbulent life of the world and that only by renunciation of the world and by good works whereby a person seeks to enlighten people about the evil, deceptive empty nature of the world can one be pardoned of their past ‘sins’. The functional definition of sin in this context therefore is that which adheres a person to the world instead of that which leads you to ascension. No matter my waveringness at any given moment between being an actively ‘religious’ person or being more of a lay ‘practitioner’, this period of self discovery or what have you has definitely ingrained the concept of personal complicity of the soul in the events which happen to me.

Because I know that everybody is thinking about it in the back of their minds, the general position of Islam in relation to the way to act in the world is that there are forces at be that aim to deceive man into entanglement to worldly lusts and that seek to oppress man for the sake of worldly exploitation and that to strive against these forces and enlighten the world to no longer seek personal fulfillment in the fruits of the world but instead to work for the fruits of righteousness. It is believed that acting selflessly in this way is essentially like a personal sacrifice because it is a given that to act against the grain of the evil of worldliness and oppressive systems will inevitably lead to a persons prosecution but being that a true devotee to God has given up hope in the peace of the world, they are willing to make that commendable sacrifice and that is the essential principle of Jihad(the struggle for the cause of righteous) . It is thought that if this is done with the utmost humbleness of the soul, that it may bring about spiritual redemption from the inconceivable amount of past transgressions we have sowed. The KEY catch to this principle of self redemption in Islam is that there is no other life line of moral accountability for a person except for between themselves and God so if a person does an act under the false pretense of selfless devotion when in fact they harbor egotistical motives in there heart, that it is only their own soul that they are hurting. In this way Bhakti Yoga(a branch of hinduism), Islam, Jainism, and Christianity are very similiar

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  BigBoySlims.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  BigBoySlims.

thedre
    Participant
    Goints: 7,672
    VIP – Server Donor

Well for myself, i was raised, and baptized as a Roman-Catholic. Although i do not attend church, as i find that it is only a hypocritical Money-Grab, i Do believe in God. But i do not shove-it down anybody’s throat. This world we live-in i believe was created with Intelligent Design. Therefore i never believed in the Big Bang Theory, and the Other THEORIES of Evolution, and that we came from fucking Monkeys, Apes, lol, or any other Neanderthal Type of Gorilla.

iCthulhu
    Participant

same

Sadistic
    Participant
    Goints: 311

It will never happen. Even if religion died, someone would be out there trying to shove ideals down your throat. I consider and study multiple religions and have my own beliefs. (Not including muslim, cause fuck that!) I would never try to force my views on someone just as I believe nobody should. Was raised christian, but also study Shinto, hindu, buddhism, wicca and satanism. I think there is something good to take away from most beliefs, even atheism.

thedre
    Participant
    Goints: 7,672
    VIP – Server Donor

And i will be the first to admit, that although i do not agree with all forms of religions, i respect yourself, and your beliefs @sadistic . But, i must say that i am Quite Impressed, to say the least at the level of your many studies of different religions & such, and by doing so you must have a broader understanding, and a wider ranging view than most. and also a complete understanding of the worlds faiths & beliefs. Do you yourself believe in some kind of Creator, or God, as some call him?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.