A major screw up on behalf of Brazilian military police. Shoot first, ask questions later.
The incident happened in Nilópolis, state of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Two military policemen were pursuing a suspect vehicle but lost track of it. As they cruised around, they spotted a car that looked just like the suspect car and gave chase.
Unsure about why he’s being followed, the driver of Hyundai HB20 tried to get away from the pursuer. That prompted the officer on the passenger seat to stick his rifle out through the window and shoot at the car.
The HB20 stopped, the officers approached it and heard screams coming from inside it. One of three innocent girls inside was shot in the back.
The officers ordered male driver who was with the girls to take the wounded to hospital, while they took the other two girls to their cruiser and escorted the car.
Unfortunately, the shot the girl took was fatal. She was proclaimed dead on arrival. Her name was Haissa Vargas Mota. She was 22 year old. The officer who shot her is one Marcio Jose Watterlor.
Best Gore member CronnosS2469 provided the translation of the dialogue in the video:
-Have you been there for long? Did you see a black Sandero?
– We lost the black Sandero now.
– By the time we got to the car, the guy was far away. We shot, busted the back tire, but the guy still got away.
– There! There are 4 dudes here now, very strange.
– Where are you?
– One of those white cars, HB20. Four heads, cap and all.
– Turn the buzzer!
– STOP! Stop!
– Go away, mister! (in fact she said “boy” (moço) but in a respectful manner)
– Help her! Help her, mister!
– Calm down.
– Don’t take her!
– I’m gonna take her to the doctors!
– What was that, can’t do that, fellow.
– Sorry, mister
– What the.
– Not my friend. I can’t believe.
– Let’s calm down. It’s messy.
– I know, mister, I’m sorry.
– Why didn’t you stop? You had open windows. Listening “to open”. No, it does not justify (exculpate) the shots, alright? Does not justify.
– Guto… (radio). No, we’re to report.
– I don’t even know what to say.
– Report it. Sector Eco and Sector Fox chased a car, gave order to stop and a victim was hit. A victim was hit, got it?
– Help us out too, later, (because) we are kind of dazed (flying roach).
– I had seen long hair. Women. I was aiming for the ground, for the ground.
(the girl is taken to the hospital)
– Who fired the shot? Tell the truth, please.
– It was me.
– Who fired the shot was that police car and that (other) police car.
– At the speed bump.
– See, Patrick. Nothing justifies the officer shooting. I’m not planing to exculpate nothing. We are going to answer for our acts, ok? Nothing justifies. But if they look at videos from our cameras, they’ll see it was three cars, one after another. One car got into the favela, shooting out – calm down, people, let me speak – the other car came to Nilopolis shooting out too. We asked you to stop with the buzzer on, and you didn’t stop. What are you going to do?
Thanks a lot for the video and the translation, CronnosS2469: